Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 AM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

No I am not an interior designer, but a Building Technologist, and have been designing Residential & commercial buildings for over 12 years. I have experience with colours and finishes. I also work with 2 interior design techs in my office (very good ones I may add)
Old 02-05-2009, 10:26 PM

RobynR is on a distinguished road

I did not read the entire thread but I run the office of a builder/real estate developer and we do a lot of basement suites (while we are building homes), we are usually in the mid range of your quotes. As far as the size of business we are; we build about 10 - 15 homes a year. Our staff is about 10 people and no one on our staff drives Hummers

One thing to remember though, is that a contractor that is fully insured (liablility & WCB), has staff on payroll (not subcontractors), and is up to date with a warranty company will have a higher overhead and will need to charge more to have any kind of profit margin. I think that most developers are looking to make about 10 - 15% profit, but also add a 10% contingency to esitmates as well, in case anything goes wrong.

Lately we have been working with homeowners on a cost plus basis and are saving them money (usually at least the 10% contingency). This might be something for you to look into, just make sure that if you go that route, you agree upon the wages you will be paying the developer and his staff (ask for the developer to supply their timesheets when they invoice you), and that they supply you with copies of all invoices pertaining to the basement suite. Full disclosure is really important in a cost plus contract to make sure bills are not being padded before being passed on to you.

If you cannot legally install a kitchen in your suite, and your contractor does, it most likely will not be covered by your contractor's warranty company and you would be dependent on your contractor's good will if anything goes wrong down the road.

HTH R
Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 PM

yeeg is on a distinguished road

I paid a $56k for about 920 liveable space...

650G Mixed, 5 - Lumenarc 250w 10K, 4 - Tunze Turbelle 6101 w/7095, BK 250 External

650# - Tonga LR, 49 sps, 9 lps, 4 softies, 10 mush/zoas, 1 clam

Blonde Naso, Sohal, 2 Yellow Tangs, Juv Emperor, CBB, Achilles, Kole, Solar Fairy Wrasse, paired pencil Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, Blue lined rabbit Fish, 8 clowns, lawnmower blenny, mandarin dragonet, sand sifting goby, abalone, tux urchin, black spiny urchin, 4 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 150+ snails/crabs/conches
Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I can't recall exactly what size my basement is but I believe it's 1000 sq ft. It wasn't anything fancy. Small bathroom with toilet and pedestal sink, (3) 4-bulb t12 fixtures, Dricore floor, drywall, paint, cheap baseboards, t-bar ceiling and cheapest vinyl stick-on tiles I could find. It's all dayhome space so repairability and cleanup were factors.

Cost me maybe $4500 for the materials. I worked for free and extremely quickly. Wife cracked a hella mean whip for a few weeks there.