Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 PM

Keana is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Keana Send a message via Skype™ to Keana
Default AquaSafe Warning!

First let me start off by saying that the water filters they sell are very good and come at a very good price. That said........

If your system comes damaged you may not get a replacement or resolution. I got my new system from them about a month ago. When it arrived the water tank was damaged. UPS must have dropped it or something. I took pictures of the damage and emailed them to AquaSafe, asking what I should do. They said that I should use the tank.

I don't want to use a damaged tank.. I paid $150 for something new and undamaged and that is what I want. UPS has a claims process where they will take care of all this. However it is AquaSafe that will get any refund, not the buyer. AquaSafe refuses to file any UPS claims. They will not handle any damaged claims, they simply refuse. Ihave several emails from Ed of AquaSafe where he says that they never file damage claims and simply expect people to use the damaged water tanks.

This is a warning about there very poor business practices and the way they ship. UPS claims that the damage may come from the way AquaSafe packaged the tank. They use no bubble wrap, simply a metal tank in a box. Just know that when you order you need to pray that nothing happens to your packages or you will most likely be left with a damaged system and no way of getting satisfaction. If you buy from them on eBay you are more likely to get fair treatment because the public feedback system is in place. I would suggest that anyone that buys from them should do it from eBay and read their feedbacks. They have many many "Neutral" feedbacks and many that were removed. Many comments in their feedback point to the problems I have experienced with them. I will never be buying from them again, no matter how cheep the system.

That said.... The system produces lots of cheep water.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I work in a related field. If aquasafe will not file a damage claim, then you absolutely must, other wise they win.

File the damage claim with UPS to re-imburse the cost of a new tank. Then buy another one. Its not right, and its a PITA for you but if aquasafe won't honor their business practices than this is the only way for you to get satisfaction.

Sorry to hear about your hassles.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 01-05-2007, 11:13 PM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road

I'm of two schools of thought with this one.

Oh one side, I agree that you deserve an item in perfect, new condition.

However, on the other hand, it is like buying a new bathtub with the copper piping. The bathtub is the main, visible part. Bathtub has no scatches. The external covering on the piping has denting on it. Structurally thr piping is in perfect working shape, the dings are cosmetic. Do you request new piping or accept these things happen?

Ed from aquasafe makes it clear the damage on the water housing units is not uncommon. He also makes it clear that it will not affect the functionality of the units.

With these units being as inexpensive as they are, and with the unit designed to be stored away and out of sight, you have to weigh the cost of the unit versuses what is acceptable.

Does your storage container function? Does it leak water?

Also, take into account that you're almost getting the storage container for a very small additional amount.

I'm the first to demand what is deserved, but I think in this case you need to accept what is reasonable.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear, but I would keep on UPS.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Agreed

They are very cheep... And the water tank would still work. However... $35 US for shipping from North Vancouver to Downtown Vancouver and that shipment get damaged... I would like to get what I paid for. If they want to charge that much for shipping they should honor the UPS built in fail safe for damages: the claims process. If I've paid $35 US for shipping, I deserve the full quality of that shipping process and all the protections that should have gone with it. UPS is more than willing to pay for all damages however AquaSafe must file the claim and send the refund. UPS will only deal with the shipper on these matters, not the receiver.

That is why I posted this warning... These units are much less expensive than others and work very well but there is a underside to this deal..... Very bad customer service and a shipping charge that is very high for the quality of shipping you get.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Default I should add one thing..

I had (or have?) an agreement with Ed. I agreed to do all the leg work on the claim with UPS, UPS agreed to handle the claim with me directly, all we need was for Ed to release the replacement cost for the tank and agree to allow UPS Claims to talk to me directly. Ed agreed to this. UPS has emailed and called Ed many times, even the UPS account rep for the AquaSafe account has tried contacting Ed several times for this information he agreed to give. However Ed has pulled a no show (or rather No communicate) and is not responding to the UPS calls or emails. It seems he has decided to not honor the deal we had. It has been about 2 weeks that UPS has trying to contact him with no luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I dont understand why the shipper is the one who has to make the claim. You would think it should be the other way around.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:00 AM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

Weird, we had some broken fittings when we ordered and he popped them right in the mail next day when I sent him a note. I suspect he is a bit like the soup nazi.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:02 AM

G1GY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keana View Post
all we need was for Ed to release the replacement cost for the tank
$30.00

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG!?!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 AM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road

I understand what you're saying. I know the shipping seems a little off, but knowing the size and the charge of ups, plus it is a good balance for their very low cost (yes, it's not "fair" but that's business, you have to find creative ways to balance your cost/profit) it's really not that crazy.

As for the requirement to ship, some people just do business like that. It's probably out of their home, and they don't want to expose their private lives.

And as for ed not getting back to you, you say it's been 2 weeks, could he maybe be away or backlogged? Is it jumping the gun a bit?

I'm not defending him, but I'm sure there's an explanation to the delay.

Let us know what happens though.