Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman86 View Post
Thing is, I haven't really changed the parameters too much. They went up slightly but that was over the course of weeks so it shouldn't have bothers them right? Only real drastic change was the t5 to led but that shouldn't kill every coral in the tank.

I'm still thinking it's the sand bed that's releasing hydrogen sulfide because of the smell. I decided to remove half of my sand bed last night and the water and smell was disgusting. I'll post a pic later for you guys. I'm mixing more water right now to remove the rest of it.
Your corals look to be a large size, so maybe think of what conditions they were kept before this new tank setup.
H2S can be removed from the water with activated carbon or by oxidizing with ozone. Hach makes a kit for measuring H2S, but it's best of course to reduce sediment buildup in the first place.
H2S is deadly to aquatic animals as much as carbon monoxide is deadly to humans. It doesn't take much to be fatal.
Good luck!

Old 04-29-2017, 12:28 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

When you do your WC, do you typically siphon the sand bed on a regular basis? Maybe I missed it but how often and how much of a WC do you do?
Old 04-29-2017, 04:44 AM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
When you do your WC, do you typically siphon the sand bed on a regular basis? Maybe I missed it but how often and how much of a WC do you do?
I do 2-3 water changes per year and each one about 150 gallons. I do syphon the sand to get rid of any detritus in there. My last water change was October but I dose cal alk mag and trace elements. Then a big water change to "rebalnce" the trace elements.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman86 View Post
I do 2-3 water changes per year and each one about 150 gallons. I do syphon the sand to get rid of any detritus in there. My last water change was October but I dose cal alk mag and trace elements. Then a big water change to "rebalnce" the trace elements.
Maybe this is a sign that your current approach is not working. Lots of people do these minimal or zero water change methods successfully. You may be missing some key point. Have you thought of doing a Triton test when you're some months into no WC? Which salt mix do you use?

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:27 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Maybe this is a sign that your current approach is not working. Lots of people do these minimal or zero water change methods successfully. You may be missing some key point. Have you thought of doing a Triton test when you're some months into no WC? Which salt mix do you use?
Maybe a triton test might be a good idea. I didn't even think about that. I'm going to see if removing the sand helps, if not I guess my next step would be a triton test.

When I initially setup the tank I used h2oceans and then over the summer I switched to aquaforest.

This morning the tank looks stable again. No new die off and the water is incredibly clear. It's had a little bit of cloudy water for a few months. I just couldn't get it this clear even with all the filtration and filter socks, there was always a slight cloudiness to the water.