Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefJunkie View Post
OK I realized this a long time ago...kinda obvious, but I am not going to drain my tank, take it off the stand, pull the sump out, build another bigger sump.......

+1 ?? thanks for the help

My apologies, I didn't see anywhere previous in the thread where you mentioned that it was not feasible to run without the check valve due to your current sump size.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 PM

ReefJunkie is on a distinguished road

No apologies necessary. My fault for lack of information.
You are totally right whatcaneyedo my mistakes in the start are a pain in the a$$ now and I will have to break it down and do it right, but it has to wait till after the holidays at least. For now...band aid.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 PM

OK you guys got me thinking, maybe I could go with no check valve if I can reduce the amount of water backflow into the sump by raising my return outlets...hmmm
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefJunkie View Post
OK you guys got me thinking, maybe I could go with no check valve if I can reduce the amount of water backflow into the sump by raising my return outlets...hmmm
Yes...that is what you need to be thinking about to eliminate the check valve.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 12-12-2009, 02:40 AM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

Here is the type of Check Valve I use this

I have it mounted horizontally and it works perfect........I needed one cause Having anti syphon holes on a dart with a single outlet would spray water all over the place and when I placed them lower in the water then my sump would overflow so I had to go with a check valve.

Kevin
Old 12-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the info Kevin....as far as this problem goes it's on the back shelf now since I just cracked my sump!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

As a quick fix.. you could change out the elbow above the checkvalve for a Tee, and put an arrestor above it. if you really want a quick fix you could even just drill and fill it in. Any building supply store generally has them, they're used for basement faucets, toilets, washing machines, stuff like that. They come brass or plastic, washing machine ones are generally plastic, and only run you about $20-$30 (yeah a lot for a chuck of plastic with an air cushion behind it). Also noticed the double elbows for what looks like power cord access, this could be the main problem of the water hammer, if you take that out while fixing your sump just throw a flexi pipe for the corner and you might dodge the problem completely. Anyways, good luck with the sump
Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch View Post

I have it mounted horizontally and it works perfect........I needed one cause Having anti syphon holes on a dart with a single outlet would spray water all over the place and when I placed them lower in the water then my sump would overflow so I had to go with a check valve.
I use this check valve as well and mine hammers right now. It did not on my other tank though. It must be a plumbing problem I made the return higher in the tank with a flex line so it only hammers for a bit now untill the water drops.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 AM

ZachAttack is on a distinguished road
Default re

yeah, that sounds like it would work. if you drill a hole right below the waterline (the lowest point of water that can be drained without overflowing the sump) the hole will let in air cutting the siphon...
Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch View Post

hey man you can always use a piece of foam to allow the air to get in and still have the water get defused alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachAttack View Post
yeah, that sounds like it would work. if you drill a hole right below the waterline (the lowest point of water that can be drained without overflowing the sump) the hole will let in air cutting the siphon...
exactly and try to dril a hole on a angle if you can. and drill it on the back of the pipe so if it does spray it will hit the tank and not go out front.......