Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Baldy is on a distinguished road
Default opinions on stocking

Hello,

I have a 75g with a 20g sump that I'm looking for opinions on as far as stocking. I have currently:

1 Foxface
1 True perc clown
1 Oscellaris clown
1 Blue green chromis
1 Matted filefish (recent addition)

I'm thinking about adding a flame angel in a couple months or so, and possibly a Pakistani butterfly later as well.

What do you guys think, would that be overstocking?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Kinda depends how big the foxface is?..... They do get quite large
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Jackie is on a distinguished road

Yes, the Foxface would be your problem very soon.
They grow so fast!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:00 PM

The foxface is around 4-5" ATM. I don't want to stock so I have to remove any when they reach full size. I was debating doing that with a regal tang, but decided against it. The butterfly is very much up in the air, I just saw one at my lfs the other day and absolutely loved it. I would rather have a flame angel thoughI i could do without the butterfly
Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

What kind of Foxface is it? Some get very large, and in my opinion even the smallest species would be too big for a 75 gallon tank. The One-Spot and the Bicolor are the smallest at about 7". The Lo looks a lot like a One-Spot though, but gets bigger. Do you have a reef or a FOWLR? The Pakistani Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to keep, and not recommended for novice keepers (not sure your experience).

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:59 PM

I have a one spot. I'm comfortable with him in my 75 as everything I've read recommends 70-75g min for them. It is a reef tank as well. I don't have much for corals, some Kenya trees, xenia, branching hammer, fuzzy mushroom, palus, zoas, candy cane, and trying some favites, blasto, and chalice frags . My PC fixture is a limiting factor

Back to he original question though, a flame angel and possibly another fish down the road, will it be too much?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

If you are keeping the foxface, I'd say one or the other. Butterflies are my favourite fish but they can be a bitch to keep, especially the pakistani's. You need to keep the water pristine and keep stress down otherwise they can be disease magnets, which will kill it and your other fish. The flame angels are probably less reef safe than the pakistani's as they'll go after softies (especially zoas... they LOVE zoas once they get a taste for them).

If you do decide to add both, I'd add the pakistani first. I wouldn't want that fish on the bottom of the pecking order, especially with 4 other fish that could be potential bullies. Flame angels are hardy enough to put up with the crap they'll take as bottom fish on the totem pole.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

aren't fox faces coral nippers?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
The flame angels are probably less reef safe than the pakistani's as they'll go after softies (especially zoas... they LOVE zoas once they get a taste for them).
thats entirely individual fish dependent..... yours liked zoas......Lauries likes SPS.....the one I had didnt touch a thing.......you pay your money, you take your chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomano View Post
aren't fox faces coral nippers?
some have been know to eat polyps and other soft corals......some dont.....again, depends entirely on the individual fish
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Back to he original question though, a flame angel and possibly another fish down the road, will it be too much?

You should be fine to add a Flame and perhaps another smaller fish.... As long as you skim well, keep up on your water changes and try not to overfeed.