Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
No the pH of pure water is slightly acidic, hence why its called the universal solvent.
Noooooppeeeeee . The universal solvent title comes from the polarity of the oxygen hydrogen bonds, because oxygen is MUCH more electronegative than hydrogen the bond is polar and has the ability to interact with both positive and negative charges in solution. Its this charge that universally dissociates ionic compounds, non-polar compounds such as fats are a different story though.

As for the pH & Copper its a very similar mechanism to what happens in our body for gas exchange. Purely a concentration gradient, as the RO water has been stripped of any dissolved ions (Mg, Fe, Ca, ect....) it naturally wants to regain these and does so by stripping the Cu2+ ions from the fitting.

Really sorry to hear about our loss, I'm on board with water changes and a polyfilter. Your rock might be toast, I would keep the tank invert-less for an extended period of time while you monitor your Copper levels.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Noooooppeeeeee . The universal solvent title comes from the polarity of the oxygen hydrogen bonds, because oxygen is MUCH more electronegative than hydrogen the bond is polar and has the ability to interact with both positive and negative charges in solution. Its this charge that universally dissociates ionic compounds, non-polar compounds such as fats are a different story though.

As for the pH & Copper its a very similar mechanism to what happens in our body for gas exchange. Purely a concentration gradient, as the RO water has been stripped of any dissolved ions (Mg, Fe, Ca, ect....) it naturally wants to regain these and does so by stripping the Cu2+ ions from the fitting.

Really sorry to hear about our loss, I'm on board with water changes and a polyfilter. Your rock might be toast, I would keep the tank invert-less for an extended period of time while you monitor your Copper levels.
Hey, Im only a plumber, stop using those big words..........
Ok my mistake, what Levi said...sounds better anyway.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

If it's an consolation after I'm done my bach. will probably get a job examining stool samples . Life rocks WOOT!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
If it's an consolation after I'm done my bach. will probably get a job examining stool samples . Life rocks WOOT!
Sounds like a $h!tty job...

Sorry, had to.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Totally neutral will increase it's ability to absorb ions. So yes, RO will pull Cu out quickly
Oh- I Should have paid more attention in chem class apparently

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

The acid idea sounds like a great way to save the rock. The tank silicone may still have some Cu in it but it could be pulled out with some absorber maybe.

So.... Acid bath for the rocks sounds like a cheap $$ idea. Just ensure to think everything through twice. Don't end up with a ruined floor or sidewalk! Or even a burned hand!

Then down the road you could try a test with an invert or two in the tank?

P.S. Really sorry to hear about this! I wouldn't even know where to begin if my tank crashed
Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

This Synthetic Rubber Coating could have been used
to prevent from contamination.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

i dont know if below statment is true though, because i've never used this staff but looks promising.
Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose, air dry, specialty rubber coating. It can be easily applied by dipping, brushing, or spraying. Plasti Dip protective coating is ideal for a broad array of do-it-yourself projects around the home, garage, garden, and elsewhere. It protects coated items against moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, and skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. Plasti Dip remains flexible and stretchy over time, and will not crack or become brittle in extreme weather conditions. It has been tested and proven in temperatures from -30°F
Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Cleaning the rock with acid will save the physical rock, but it certainly won't be 'live' anymore. So assuming we're talking 50 pounds of rock (most live rock sells for around $10 a pound), you'll essentially be turning it in to something dead, like Marco rock, which sells for about $3 a pound and will need to be completely cycled again. So really, your best case scenario is that you've lost about $350 in value, and you should consider whether the multi-month (to multi-year, depending on whose rock opinion you're listening to) process of getting your rock back to where it was before the copper incident isn't worth simply replacing it with good quality, new live rock.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Cleaning the rock with acid will save the physical rock, but it certainly won't be 'live' anymore. So assuming we're talking 50 pounds of rock (most live rock sells for around $10 a pound), you'll essentially be turning it in to something dead, like Marco rock, which sells for about $3 a pound and will need to be completely cycled again. So really, your best case scenario is that you've lost about $350 in value, and you should consider whether the multi-month (to multi-year, depending on whose rock opinion you're listening to) process of getting your rock back to where it was before the copper incident isn't worth simply replacing it with good quality, new live rock.
that's what I would do. Cleaning was just an option, but yes, it's officially dead as dead gets after an acid bath. Subject to releasing PO4 down the road as well, once all the dead stuff in the pores start rotting.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:29 AM

rynoe is on a distinguished road

Cleaning is still on the table but most likely the rock will be replaced.