Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 AM

fooman is on a distinguished road
Default Evaperation!!!

Okay let me start buy saying that i am building a 150 gallon salty and it is my first one. Okay now to the question that i have is the only reason that people don't put lids on there aquariums is to keep the tank temp cooler ? I will be having my tank set up in my basement next to my 400 gallon which i have no problem keeping at a constant 80 degrees .So i was hoping that i can have a lid on my saltwater tank to keep the humidity down in the house . Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 AM

darkreef is on a distinguished road

Depends on how you cover it . If you cover it with glass you be cleaning salt creep and algae off it for your lights. If it's a raised canopy I don't see why it wouldn't work but could this hurt your lights being cased in a humid box of heat . I run LEDs so not much heat . Following this because I want to build a custom 12" high canopy for my 75 gallon .
Old 11-19-2013, 03:02 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

for me no lid as didn't want to to be cleaning the glass to let the light through. Wasn't even thinking about temp. Went with a vented canopy.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
for me no lid as didn't want to to be cleaning the glass to let the light through. Wasn't even thinking about temp. Went with a vented canopy.

even for my new build I am trying to get away from cross bracing.

Welcome to the board
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

I use an acrylic lid since I have tons of acrylic, otherwise I would have used glass. This was to help keep pet hair, dust and fishing cats out, and fish in. No algae on it.... And it doesn't get salt "creep". Since the water side stays humid and moist, its just usually wet. There are multiple holes drilled through for some ventilation and pipes/cords. The top is where I get dried salt from when I remove a section of acrylic and put it on top of another while I fish into my tank. I clean them... every few months.... maybe.... Their reasonably dusty and salty on top, light doesn't seem to have any issues going through it, and my corals grow just fine with lights at 30%. No issues with temperature, and our house gets scorching hot in the summer during the day, with a severe lack of AC (85+... 90ishh... then I stop looking). Tank is usually kept around 78, think the highest the tank went in the summer was 82 or so... I had more issues with it getting too hot when I used egg crate on my small tank in the summer.
So if you actually cleaned yours on a reasonable basis, I don't see a big issue.
Works peachy keen for me, doesn't mean anyone will agree with it or if itll work for your situation.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:27 AM

I was thinking of trying to seal the tank fairly tight . I never even thought about the salt creep or algy . Well go thing i work in a glass shop i can just have 2 sets of tops for it then i can clean them at my leisure. And i will be getting a hold of you Fiji rock in a few monthes to get so rock for my tank.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Not having a top also allows for important gas exchange and like you said before proper evaporation

Have you thought about a dehumidifier in the room?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 AM

You say it allows for important gas exchange but would that not happen on the draining to the sump and the return back to the DT ?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:13 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I have acrylic lids on my upstairs tank, and lexan on my downstairs tank. I clean them, maybe every couple months or so. And no salt creep. No fish jumping out, or humidity in the house. Doesn't seem to affect lighting either, and corals growing great. I will say lexan is better though, as it does not warp or lose its shape, and you can get by with much thinner material.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Where would you get lexan from?