Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-03-2016, 06:39 AM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far guys
Old 09-04-2016, 03:51 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

the only real cure is fluke Tabs, if you can find them. They are a discontinued product and work great for killing these things.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:01 AM

input80 is on a distinguished road

There has to be a safe replacement, no?
Old 12-18-2016, 08:16 PM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

So I finally took the plunge and nuked my tank with fenbendazole. The only way to get it here in BC is through a Vet with a prescription but if anyone needs some send me a PM and I can probably hook you up.

I lost a couple sps but I am pretty happy overall with how it worked here is a quick breakdown.
First off I removed all the inverts (snails, crabs, shrimp)I could find and placed them in my sump because I have read that the treatment can be hard on them.
Shut off my circ pump and return line.
Skimmer off.
Placed a temporary heater in the display tank.
I dosed 2mg fenbendazole per gallon for 72 hours.
Minimal feeding of the fish over the course of the treatment.
The cloves slowly started closing up almost immediately, but only after the 2nd day did they start to disappear.
After 72 hours I did a 20% water change on the display, started the sump and skimmer back up.
Started running some activated carbon to help filter out toxins from the coves.
I felt bad about exposing my inverts at this point but I hoped that by doing the large water change and running carbon it would minimize the impact. If I had another tank setup this would have been better but living in an apartment has some limitations.
2 days after the 72 hours the cloves really started falling off the rocks, I tried to vacuum out as much as I could, the skimmer has been running wet and pulling out a lot of muck. I have done a couple smaller daily water changes as I vacuumed out the floating cloves.

This is where I am now, some notes on my corals.
I lost a frag of wolverine and ssc they RTNd after the second day, all the other sps are either completely fine or have lost a little color but so far the look ok. LPS seem to be unaffected other than not fully expanding. My zoas and palys are not fully opening yet but nothing has died/melted. The mushrooms I was hoping it would kill are still alive so it would be ok for them.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask on here or PM me!