Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Pics taken this morning. Voltage is dialed down low for dawn effect. Typical forward voltage for maximum current of around 900mA for most of the LEDs is between 9-12 volts. I've never run them any higher than 9 volts.

The trim is held on by tape just to give an idea. Not sure whether I'll try to glue it on or use small ss screws. I tried the hot glue gun & that's how the corner pieces are attached, but one fell off already. The hot glue didn't allow me to press the pieces fully flush so that made the long pieces impossible to attach securely. Might try epoxy.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-09-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 PM

bioload is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrosdal View Post
Bioload, Yours is one of the only ones that makes me feel happy inside and consider doing a diy... Nice work
Thank You,.....a lot of planning went into it, and still ongoing..Hope it gives you some ideas for your build

One day I'll be finished......then What?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 PM

bioload is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post

What did you gues use to protect the wood from moisture....looking for a sealer myself.

One day I'll be finished......then What?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioload View Post
What did you gues use to protect the wood from moisture....looking for a sealer myself.
Acrylic shield for the inside. Basic two stage stain on the outside, color base with multiple spray coats of clear. Just the regular stuff, nothing fancy.

The fans in the canopy draw air from below and exhaust out the top so it keeps air moving around the canopy. There really isn't a moisture issue to be concerned with, wood is always bone dry.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:42 PM

JetJumper is on a distinguished road

Here is mine:

Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioload View Post
Two coats of MinWax mahogany stain on the outside, bare wood on the inside, although I did stick some aluminum tape along the lower portion of the inside to reflect some of the light, sideways I guess? Anyhow, the tape will provide a little protection from moisture. It's high enough above the water that I doubt moisture will be an issue. It's an open frame so good air circulation, moisture really can't accumulate like inside a canopy. My previous fixture's reflectors did get caked up with salt spray over the period of several years, but it was closer to the water. My LEDs are mounted on individual heatsinks each with it's own fan that blows air down, so the tiny spray drops that mucked up the reflectors on the Halides & T5s should be diverted. I'll be checking on that periodically to make sure it's not an issue, especially since I'm not using any optics over my LEDs.

Here's a photo taken a while back, but shows how open it is.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-12-2012 at 05:36 AM.