Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

But youre right. It's a personal choice so no point in arguing
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
...And all those "features" that it has seems like they were made for 12 year olds to think they're cool. I still think thunderstorms are pointless and stupid.

You don't want to argue so you Troll instead...???

Features I look for; Wireless connectivity, Spectrum choices to include RGB, etc.

Last edited by cale262; 01-12-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

How is that 'Trolling'? He has a 100% relevant opinion based on his experience after having owned and tried BOTH units. I agree with Marko 100%... to me the Thunderstorms and technocolor are novelty. I have the Sols. I have the thunderstorms enabled... they amuse me. As for the red and green... meah. We'll see if it proves usefull.

AI will have wireless connectivity coming out at the same time as the new phoenix. You really need this??? How often do you adjust your lights? I've now got mine ramped up almost to where I want them, and don't really plan on touching them after that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to connect to one ofthe radions via USB cable? If that's the case, that WIRE kind of takes the 'less' out of 'wireless'.... No?

Anyways, they're both good fixtures, I own and am happy with the Sols.

The only thing that really impresses me about the Radions is the Storm mode interface to the MP's... but I run Tunzes, so no benefit.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 PM

The Troll is quite obvious, someone posts that they bought the Radion for the features, then the troll is "And all those "features" that it has seems like they were made for 12 year olds to think they're cool."

Tell me that was not meant to be an inflammatory comment.

100% Troll...

Last edited by cale262; 01-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
...How often do you adjust your lights? I've now got mine ramped up almost to where I want them, and don't really plan on touching them after that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to connect to one ofthe radions via USB cable? If that's the case, that WIRE kind of takes the 'less' out of 'wireless'.... No?

I want the wireless to run the lighting on several different tanks all running the same lighting in different rooms as I now currently run my MP40wES's. Wireless IMO is also cleaner looking over my tank.

RBG is mostly for my own enjoyment and veiwing pleasure.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure AIs can connect directly to profilux which will enable endless amounts of features including thunderstorms, tunze AND vortech connecting, true wireless control via iphone/other, and even the ability to add additional led bars of various colors. Not sure if Radions can connect to different controllers which limits them in the long run.

I own neither but I do own an LED light with various extra colors, the reds and greens do very little for aesthetics, mostly they just increase algae growth. The novelty of it were's off extremely fast.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
...Not sure if Radions can connect to different controllers which limits them in the long run.

The Radion is a new player on the market, the software is still evolving... I control my MP40wES's with my Apex wireless controller, Radion is not far behind and will work from the same controller.

The reds on my Radion remind me of the fiji purple T5's I used to run and have missed since switching to LED, they make an obvious differance to me, making the pinks and purples really pop. I haven't seen any excess algae growth since switching from the Pacific Sun 200W Blues/white LED fixture.

Last edited by cale262; 01-12-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: bad typer
Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I really do like my Radions. The 12 hour "natural" program is sweet, and since I have mp40's I like the way the lights have them go into sleep mode at dark time.

I can not wrap my head around the software tho. For what ever reason I can't program them to do anything.. Art can every time first try
Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

I keep getting positive rep points, finally someone saying something.

Wireless connectivity is another "noob" feature. Who cares if they talk wirelessly if you still have cords and that big dumb ballast. And the wireless connectivity with the pumps is a novelty too.

And the fact that you need a laptop or computer close enough to your lights is lame. While they were making it wireless, why not wireless connectivity to a computer?

Spectrum? Like I've said before, the green and red LEDs are so insignificant compared to the white and blue that they are not even noticeable when the whites and blues are on.

The only cool thing I've found with the radions is adding red to the moonlight so it looks more purple...... But that also got kinda old after a few days
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Noob feature??? what's that?

Last edited by cale262; 01-12-2012 at 06:22 PM.