Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 PM

iansfishy is on a distinguished road

Its the Foxes Den at the golf course in Williams Lake. Im sure things would be going alot smoother if i could keep my butt off the driving range. The official re-opening is tommorow. How about as far as cycling the tank? Ive always used cured rock in my tanks so i have never had that tank smell when first cycling a tank. I was hopeing to basically take down an existing tank and set it up in the restaraunt, so there shouldnt be too much of a cycle. I figured move the tank, replace half the old water, wait a couple days do a water change and it should be good to go right? I think im only gonna have room for a sump in the cabnet with a submerged return pump, a good skimmer and possibly a fx5 for filtration. does that sound alright? thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Not too common down in your neck of da woods but here in sunny Richmond there are many places with SW tanks I've seen countless in hair salons and chinese restaurants. I think with stocking fish it really depends all trial and error.....

Having a tank look pristine has it's fair share of hardship but hey that's what this hobby is all about!

Just think after work when everyone leaves you can do waterchanges and algae scraping.

What kinda fish are you planning on stocking? reefsafe or ....

Personally if I were to set up a fowler in a restaurant I would make sure that it was fullproof so you couldnt access the tank to screw with it meaning put a lock on it!

As we all know how kids find their sticky fingers into everything and feel sorry for the poor fish so they toss a piece of bread swiped with butter um yum yum.

A getting back on the topic here:

1) foolproof it just incase
2)like others have said RODI to help cut back on algae
3)I always say if you're gonna do something do it right the 1st time around
4)If it's strictly a fowler use bioballs in the sump
5)Get a large skimmer the biggest that you can fit or alternatively do larger wc every week.
6)qt every fish before adding so as to not punish your livestock via ick
7)do as much research on compatibility of fish before you decide on buying, cause no one wants to be having a nice dinner and watching boxing match in your tank.
8)T5 are definately the cheap and efficient route here.
9)I also think it would be some eye candy to have some hardy corals like a few rics, gsp, xenia,zoas and toadstool give it more life than just baren rock. If you do decide to go this route skip the bioballs thing.
10)run charcoal, I use ehiem ecco 2236 3 out of 5 chambers filled with charcoal the other two with bio rings.The water is so clean and pristine I feel like I have a starphire tank.
11)If youre doing the fowler or reef even go with a more is less look maybe two shallow islands more room for the fish to swim and also easier to clean.
12)I could go on with a few more but will stop here, I must say this tho I have 2 tanks cause on one hand I love the fish and the other love my corals truthfully if you go with a fowler you could put seafans and some fake corals but lets be realistic here that would be boring go with a reef you'll be much happier!

^by the way these are only suggestions and I'm in no way trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do just thought my input may help aid your new venture good luck.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips

Last edited by tang daddy; 04-11-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I have a fowlr, a reef, and a goldfish tank.

95% of the people coming over here go straight to the reef & barely look at the other tanks unless I'm feeding live shore crabs or something to the porcupine puffer, volitan lionfish or snowflake moray in the fowlr.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Anthony