Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Right on.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:15 AM

Polscot is on a distinguished road

lights arrived today for the refugium, 10w halowgen underwater light x 2

i placed them in the back where the bio balls used to be, one on top and 1 on the floor, ill be putting my purigen and chemi-pure bags on either side of the light so after the water falls into the refug it has to filter through them to get to the display (let me know if this is a good place)

they give off a good amount of light and hopefully the cheato will thrive

ive taken the rock out of the bleach bath and its sitting in a baking soda bath now to neutralise it, for 1 day, then freshwater for 2 days with 4 water changes, and hopfully its sunny this weekend and ill let it sit out and dry......plan to get the tnak up and running next weekend

Last edited by Polscot; 09-09-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 AM

reefcanada is on a distinguished road

That looks like a very cool idea, I am looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM

was thinking of a way to cut the rock so i could maximize the amount i get on the back wall for looks and versatility, the wall will stick out alot and i want it to be mostley live rock so it functions better then a full foam wall... dont like the idea of a hammer and chizle as im a perfectionist and i think it would annoy me, called up home depot and its only $30 to rent a tile saw for a day, so saturday ill do that and aquascape my wall, then its figuring out a method to holding the rocks to the wall, any sudgestions would be great, zip ties are a last resort as i dont like the look of them and there hard to hide....
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45915

His experiment begins on post 24. Good reading and he found a way to get a very solid connection between rock and glass. He's shunned my requests for an update so please try your own request so I don't look like the only beggar haha.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 PM

so i rented a tile saw yesterday and cut a ton of the rock in half and smashed some then today i started zip tieing them onto the eggcrate heres what it looks like so far, still have a few spots to fill and ill have tofill the cracks with foam then im going to crush some rock into sand and use resin to stick it to the foam....ill be covering the zip ties in foam and sand

theres 14lbs of rock on the wall alone so it frees up ALOT of tank space

i made 1 big ledge and 1 small ledge, smaller one if for a clam my gf wants to buy me, and the big one is for a brain (always wanted one)

side shot u can see the ledges

lemmie know what u think
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Looking good... are you sure that little piece of eggcrate is going to keep it standing? you might want to add another leg to stand on.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 AM

4lti7ude is on a distinguished road

Ooo nice wall.
Make sure your happy with how far your ledges stick out.
All the rock underneath that ledges will have much less light. Then make sure you think about as the corals grow and shade the ones underneath. Ive been having that problem with placement on my wall.

4lti7ude's 20Gallon Nano Tank
Old 09-12-2010, 03:50 PM

the weight gets alot less when its underwater so im not too worried, plus im goign to silicone it to the back wall, its mainly a mantis tank so im not too worried about corals, ill have 1 brain maybe a clam and then mushrooms and gsp, mantis is worth more and better then any corals u can buy IMO lol
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM

ive jsut added the foam, so ill let it dry over 48hrs, then ill cover it in resin and smashed rock so it all melds together, but here it is so far

going to save alot of tank space as i have roughly 18 of the 30 lbs on the back wall,