Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

I typically only check the forums that I'm interested in, so a coral forum would work well for me. It would also make searching previous posts for corals a little easier.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That would be great! I mean the traffic would be awesome. RC has so many sub forums because they have sooooo many posts in a day that most people want to be able to sort through the threads they are interested in, and skip the ones they aren't. It would be nice to do the same here.
I honestly hope we dont end up like RC.....if canreef ends up being a stuck up, holier than thou, you have to have 10000 posts or a 2000g tank for anyone to answer your questions and your post is buried in a day type forum, it will loose its appeal to me.......... Titus would like it if were like RC, but not I
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I honestly hope we dont end up like RC.....if canreef ends up being a stuck up, holier than thou, you have to have 10000 posts or a 2000g tank for anyone to answer your questions and your post is buried in a day type forum, it will loose its appeal to me.......... Titus would like it if were like RC, but not I
I guess if that's the way you want to see it. If there were 1000 active tank journals on CanReef you could bet that only the biggest, most awesome journals would get replies. Even here on CanReef there are few replies on newbie tank journal threads.

Back to the subject though, I don't think adding another forum to CanReef would be anywhere near Reef Central category.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:04 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

To those that responded "I only look at the new threads anyway." I completely understand, that is in fact how I primarily read Canreef but how about the new visitors? Reef Forum has 21K+ posts while the next biggest forum "Pictures" has 3K posts and the average is 1500 for the rest of the forums. I think some division is needed. I have a new interest in SPS and I would LOVE to browse the SPS posts easily but I can't.

Last night I scrapped the last 100 reef posts dating back to mid July and did some quick stats. According to my sample the most talked about topic in Reef forum is corals/anemones at 19% of total posts. Water chemistry was second at 14% and ID was 12%.

I think Reef forum is too bloated and needs to be divided. To those that worry we will become RC need not fret. RC's problems like anything that is community built is the community. Being Canadian and being cool we have a great community here at Canreef and regardless of how our posts are divided that will not change.

Here are my stats to those interested.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kRKVU1NNEV3b0E

Cheers,
Keith.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM

NightShadeFairy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Puffer View Post
agreed. i have troubles finding how to post in general never mind finding the right forum to put it in....
not against adding more tho either...
Wew! Good to know I'm not the only one!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Not sure how much use a new forum would get.....there are a lot of people like me who never go to the forums and just stay on the "active threads" page
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
That, and what benefit does it offer? Most people look at new posts, and then it doesn't matter what forum exists or not. I hardly even notice what forum I'm reading most of the time.
exactly
Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That would be great! I mean the traffic would be awesome. RC has so many sub forums because they have sooooo many posts in a day that most people want to be able to sort through the threads they are interested in, and skip the ones they aren't. It would be nice to do the same here.
And there in is the problem. I have been on RC since its beginning. Love the board but its all the posting in the local forums, that I dislike. And many of the best threads are in those local forums.

Thats one thing we do not want here, but as for a sub forum for corals in the reefing forum,
I think its a waste of time on a smaller board myself, but have no problem with it. Like others said, does no harm so fine in my view.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've added a sub forum to Reef called Corals. That's as granular as I think we need to get with our volume.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've added a sub forum to Reef called Corals. That's as granular as I think we need to get with our volume.
Awesome. Thank you very much Aquattro.
Keith.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:

took alot at the new subforumn .....was some good reading for sure jk