Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 AM

Fesso is on a distinguished road
Default Fesso's Kaiju Kollum

Hi I just joined Canreef (mainly so I could enter MJC's contests...shhhh) so I figured I should't just lurk and score but introduce myself and join in the other fun.
Here's my tank, this is mostly copied and pasted from my local forum but I figured why not start at the beginning...

Inspiration
Kaiju (怪獣 kaijū?) is a Japanese word that means "strange beast," but often mistakenly translated in English as "monster". Classically it may refer to any bizarre creature. The ocean is home to the most bizarre and amazing creatures, I find corals and reef life to be the most strange and bizarre creatures in the "natural" world. My goal for this tank is a mixed reef that is populated by strange, bizarre and "alien" life. To other reefers all this strangeness is par for the course and is day to day awesomeness. I am not striving for "rare" or strange in the "hobby" standarts here, to me it's ALL strange and cool ****!

I plan to build a PCV + hydrolic cement + aragonite ribcage as the main rock structure to give the tank a "BEASTLY" look. Something like this:

Tank:
56 G perfecto column bought from GTAA member Bigfishy
Drilled by GTAA members (thanks)
Bean Animal drain (started with Herbie but later ran return over the top)
DIY smoked grey glass overflow
¾ Return through manifold to run reactors
Return Pump: Ehiem 1262

Filtration:
DIY Sump with display fuge
Avast CS1 Skimmer with swabble
TLF 150 for GFO

Controller:
Reef Keeper Elite

ATO:
Avast Marine with pressure sensor

Flow in the DT:
3 x VorTech MP10wes

Lights:
Gen 1 Radion

Substrate:
Caribsea Special Grade

Got the tank from a local, this is the biggest tank that I can fit in my place, I love cube tanks but one would take up too much space, the dimentions of this tank are perfect for us. 30x18x24. the stand won't fit a sump.

Had to build a stand:

Decided on a toothless glass overflow:

All done:

My phone died with the build pictures of the sump and plumbing progress but here's the finished result all glued and screwed and ready to add water:

Here's the finished plumbing:

More to come...