Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

View Poll Results: How would you reform Canada's justice system?
Bring back the death penalty 3 16.67%
Three-strikes and you're out mandatory life imprisonment for repeat offendors 6 33.33%
All judges to be elected and accountable to the public 4 22.22%
Texas-style supermax prisons 0 0%
GPS-based lifelong monitoring for all violent ex-convicts 2 11.11%
Mandatory minimum sentences to be served in full 2 11.11%
Victims to have the final say in the criminal's sentence 0 0%
Nothing, our criminal justice system is just fine 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2003, 04:45 AM

Wannabe Reefer is on a distinguished road

Yeah the pepper spray is about the worse there is, even worse than a taser if you ask me.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:20 AM

BC_Grl is on a distinguished road

But what do you think should happen to the police officer who goes against the law? We get tickets for speeding, running red lights etc... but I've seen few cops do the same and nothing ever happens to them...
The law is so screwed up and so many frustrated people, I wouldn't be surprised if vigilantism crops up.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:24 AM

BC_Grl is on a distinguished road

Bartman
Quote:
An eye for an eye (cut off hand for theft, etc)
Isn't that what Mrs Bobbit did?
Old 06-29-2003, 11:19 PM

mpishi is on a distinguished road
Default opinion only

as a newly registered user to this group, i find the subject a little off topic although interesting. it is also ironic that an earlier thread had a member posting his/her displeasure with a traffic ticket for running a red light and ways to avoid the financial penalty. maybe if everyone had a better developed sense of responsibility towards society as well as themselves we could continue to ask important questions pertaining to fragging techniques and helpful tips for home plumbing. for those serious minded types, my own opinion is that criminal behaviour is often related to substance abuse in some form whether by the criminal or in their developmental environment. while i am not a liberal, quite the opposite (castrate rapists, invoke shariah law, prosecute even "minor" crimes) i do believe childhood education is the place to begin shaping a compliant and conforming society.

ps. any ideas or comments on system shock when lights are on a timer and go from off to on with a click - not real natural sunrise, do the corals react?
Old 06-29-2003, 11:57 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

The Lounge is meant for off-topic posts.

I rolled through a stop sign (turning a corner), I did not run a red light. I am not trying to escape penalization. My original comment was, bummer, I screwed up and ruined my day. I do realize that traffic laws must be enforced, and that I am not exempt. I think though that almost $300 for this offense is a little high. It was never my intention outright argue that I didn't deserve a ticket. I simply would like to have the charges changed a little in my favour. I think at times the police need to make examples, and perhaps that's what I am, since the fines have just gone up. Remember the attempted murder case in Sylvan Lake which has since been downgraded to criminal mischief causing bodily harm or something to that effect.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 06-30-2003, 12:18 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
The Lounge is meant for off-topic posts.
Exactly! We can't talk shop all the time!!

As for lighting just popping on, it does not appear to upset anything at all.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:39 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I would expect that Teevee will pay a steeper penalty for his driving error than many violent criminals will pay if they ever get convicted.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:34 AM

mpishi is on a distinguished road

okay, i'm new to this and like i said it is an interesting topic
so to stir the sand a bit i'll be more forceful

THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK AND IF YOU TAKE OFFENCE, PLEASE LET ME BE THE LAST TO KNOW (and preferably after i'm dead)

you were caught for breaking a law and should pay the full penalty - it is not for the transgressor to decide what penalty may or may not be appropriate

the ticket dodging services are indicative of a flaw in society, getting away with cheating a faceless entity like the tax man or a traffic fine is considered a success, so why shouldn't i try get away with a minimal and cushy sentence for murder. its only the scale of the offence we are talking about, the mechanism is the same

as for the original question as to how to change the justice system, it should be acknowledged to be flawed but it is also in a continual state of evolution. i support capital punishment yet the stephen truscott case is an absolute arguement against such power being wielded by the state. i've been unlucky enough to have been on both sides of the bars and my experience is that the inside is decidely more unpleasant, cable tv notwithstanding.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:35 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I would expect that Teevee will pay a steeper penalty for his driving error than many violent criminals will pay if they ever get convicted.
Something along those lines, certainly.

mpishi, no offense taken. English common law, upon which our system is based, dictates that I, as a citizen, have the right to defend myself and attempt to sway the court in my favour. As I said above, I realize I broke a law, and I am not trying to escape penalization. I am simply exercising my rights as a tax-payer. To me it's the classic "checks and balances" coming into play.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 07-02-2003, 08:13 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
English common law, upon which our system is based, dictates that I, as a citizen, have the right to defend myself and attempt to sway the court in my favour. As I said above, I realize I broke a law, and I am not trying to escape penalization. I am simply exercising my rights as a tax-payer. To me it's the classic "checks and balances" coming into play.
you better go read about it again Teeee, what it says is you have the right to defend your innocence not the right to get away with it. sence you are not innocent (by your own admission) you would be abusing the system by going to court and fighting it..

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.