Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

*subscribed*

Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

OHHH Sarah, that tank is just freekin gorgeous! I really like the stand. I think you should have put it in your Living Room tho Excellent way to showcase out hobby up there. As for your lighting, if it were me I think I would go with 4 x 250w pendants. Cant wait for this build to take shape
Old 06-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I'm joining the jealous club on this. Awesome that you found a 10' tank in such good condition.

On another note, I don't think (based on my own experience with MCE600s) that 2 Deltec HOBs will be able to handle a tank that size, especially with your planned high bioload. The Deltecs have a rep for being the BEST hobs, but in part this is due to the poor performance of most other HOB skimmers.

For long-term ease of care, I would look at a proper in-sump skimmer setup. You could even do multiple sumps & skimmers if height (but not length) is an issue. One down pipe dividing into two sumps with 2 separate short skimmers and two return pumps combining into one return line back into the tank.

How many gallons is this monster tank anyways. My school of tangs would soooooo love this but my place is far too small for a tank this size

Anthony
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

I would go with something like a huge beckett to power clean that baby Sarah..

OH Ya I told you and LAURIE before ,
SIZE MATTER's
Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

oh ya CAN YOU SAY LIGHT RAIL 3 400's or 3 250's Im looking for some 400's i have some 250's to swap ya .
Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! I hope I can do it proud!

In regards to sumps and skimmers.....there is no room in the stand which was a dilema I had to live with. We are thinking that an external skimmer may work if we can put it along side the tank. Otherwise we may just be stuck with a trio of Deltec HOB or something along those lines......but the stand is soooo short internally and divided up so that it's very load bearing that we were out of luck with sump ideas and such. Yep, we should have just built a new stand, but I was basically just getting it going with the "salt go ahead". And, we had no time to build a stand as moving this thing is HORRIFIC!

It's 300 gallons in total....

The cycle was soooo easy, that I just was a bit ... confused? I know how well Cycle works for FW tanks..and figured that I'd try it out! I'm just so used to the long boring cycle!!!

Regarding lighting....I totally NEED your input. I will post a pic of the centre bracing locations so you get a better idea of where all of this sits. I was trying to stay away from a bunch of halides due to heat and the hydro to run them (landlord already complains even though it's US paying the bill! LOL)

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
full of fishy goodness!!
"full of Fishy goodness"................... ...................suppose I shouldnt defile Sarahs tank thread so early in its life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
Thanks everyone! I hope I can do it proud!

In regards to sumps and skimmers.....there is no room in the stand which was a dilema I had to live with. We are thinking that an external skimmer may work if we can put it along side the tank. Otherwise we may just be stuck with a trio of Deltec HOB or something along those lines......but the stand is soooo short internally and divided up so that it's very load bearing that we were out of luck with sump ideas and such. Yep, we should have just built a new stand, but I was basically just getting it going with the "salt go ahead". And, we had no time to build a stand as moving this thing is HORRIFIC!

It's 300 gallons in total....

The cycle was soooo easy, that I just was a bit ... confused? I know how well Cycle works for FW tanks..and figured that I'd try it out! I'm just so used to the long boring cycle!!!

Regarding lighting....I totally NEED your input. I will post a pic of the centre bracing locations so you get a better idea of where all of this sits. I was trying to stay away from a bunch of halides due to heat and the hydro to run them (landlord already complains even though it's US paying the bill! LOL)
Congrats on the big tank Sarah......very envious.....I too cant wait to see it full of "fishy" goodness

You should post some pics of the inside of the stand if you can?.....a couple thousand brains should be able to come up with some way get a skimmer in there.....BKs are fairly squat......

how bout two 5' ATI T5s?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I have to admit that I doubt the Deltecs are going to do what you want them to either. Measure the inside of the stand so we know what height we are dealing with for a skimmer.
When you say the stand is divided up...can you tell us what sized sump you could fit...or maybe several small ones plumbed together?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

If you can fit even a small sump in the stand plumbed to a pump which in turn is plumbed into a large Beckett skimmer standing alongside the tank. Might look kinda cool for everyone to see a large skimmer at work.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
If you can fit even a small sump in the stand plumbed to a pump which in turn is plumbed into a large Beckett skimmer standing alongside the tank. Might look kinda cool for everyone to see a large skimmer at work.
I agree, a big 3 or 4 foot skimmer next to te tank would be cool. Plus you could light it up with LED's like Dave did for that WOW factor. If your going to have a bunch of tangs you will have ALOT of poo, gonna need a big skimmer.