Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road
Default Green-ish cloudy tank? Is it just a cycle?

Hello all. So I have finally done the big tank move from my boyfriends house to mine.

Our tank is a 1 year old fish only with live rock (for now) tank.
I tried some beginner corals a few months back such as pipe organ, zoanthids, palys, but the boyfriend killed them (this is why the tank is now under my care)

Anyways, when I did the move I performed about a 50-75% water change as the water was COMPLETELY green when it was at my boyfriends house, to the point where you literally could not see the rock structures through the water, it was AWFUL! (my suspicion is that he stirred up the sand bed, releasing all kinds of crap into the water)

The water is much more clear now, I can see everything in the tank and for the first week of it being at my house it seemed to start getting more and more clear, but as of the past few days its starting to get cloudy again. I have done one 20 gallon water change since the move (that was when it started to get clearer). I ran out of salt, it is being shipped to me now as we speak or else I would have done another water change today...

I did some tests immediately after the water change I did a few days ago, and the nitrates and ammonia were a bit high. Is my tank just going through a cycle? Is this why its green-cloudy ish? Or is there something else going on here....

If it makes any difference, I stuck two al-b-gone pouches in the filter that I had lying around to see if they will make a difference.

Tags
algae cycle green