Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
Oooo I will try this method since I already have air pump n mech float laying around. I'm not really afraid of overflowing since my sump can easily handle max 5 gal of water from my water jug anyways
It does take a little tweaking to get the air pump timing right, so it doesn't run unnecessarily, so good idea to get it dialed in before you take off on vacation for more than a few days. Mine runs a few minutes almost every hour to maintain positive pressure in the carboy. The timer has 20 programs IIRC, so there are a couple hours where it doesn't run. The blank hours are during the night due to lower evaporation rate. Timings are a bit longer during the day due to higher evaporation rate. Since the air pump is fairly low pressure, there's little danger in it overpressurizing anything. Worst case if it runs too long is wasted electricity and wear/tear on the pump. Once you get it dialed in efficiently, there's rarely need to make further adjustments. I had to fabricate the bracket for my float valve out of scrap acrylic & used nylon screws/nuts to fasten things in place. It's a good idea to have an air check valve in the line between the air pump & the top off container. This helps maintain pressure & prevent leakage back through the air pump. These check valves are only a couple of $$ and readily available at most any LFS.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy
Default Smart ATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordsyke View Post
I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. Love it! The optical system seems to work flawlessly, and has an audible alarm. I like the fact that it doesn't have any float switches and wires in the sump. The pump is small and quiet (I can never tell when it's running). In fact the whole thing is very compact.

I guess time will tell if it's trouble-free over the long run. So far it's great!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I've used JBJ and autotopoff.com and have been happy with both. I have seen Tunze and RO/DI float valve systems fail too often to want to go either of those routes.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM

balistidae is on a distinguished road

I have been running the Hydor Smart level for about 3 months and have not had any issues whatsoever, and it only cost $80 + pump. Highly recommend this unit.

The Smart ATO with the optical sensors also looks quite promising especially if space is an issue.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

I was also thinking about the hydor ato or this laser one on fish street

http://www.fish-street.com/triple_se...ategory_id=139

What u guys think will be more reliable
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

jbj ato for almost 5 years now same ato second pump(my fault on the first pump dosed kalk with the ato and never cleaned the pump for 4 yrs lol) cheap to replace a pump and straight plug and play.
-concept built 3'x2'x22" full starfire tank with starfire 1 piece eurobrace and built in wave box, 1 jebao wp25, 4 mp10wes, ati led Hybrid 8 bulb fixture, csc 250 skimmer, Magdrive 18 return pump, apex lite, custom sump from concepts, biopellet reactor and carbon and gfo,bubble magnus doser and jbj ato, custom acrylic frag tank with 6 bulb t5
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70851
Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
+1. Best bang for the buck, for sure. I have a rodi line plumbed directly to my tank using this. Completely fail safe and trouble free.
Can I +2 this? Same here, works great.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Can I +2 this? Same here, works great.
If I send ro straight to my sump via a float doesn't this mean the rodi will continuously generate waste water?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
If I send ro straight to my sump via a float doesn't this mean the rodi will continuously generate waste water?
Only when it's actively topping up. No different that manually filling an ATO unit.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 AM

a very generous member on here just gave me the jbj for free but its missing float switches. Can i use these from jl on them or can i order a better one somewhere? http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=da-zfsk1

also can i just use a aqualifter with the jbj?