Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Will I survive
Yes I will survive 21 45.65%
I think I'm toast 25 54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Ok, I guess I had to look.

Here's my thoughts. Experiment? Kinda dumb and pointless to me, and I don't agree with it on a "principles" basis.
However, all of Denny's points are valid. How many hobbyists introduce rocks to crabs in a very sudden time frame? Freshwater dips on bristleworms in a circular fashion? Ya, lots.
But, there really is no difference, morally speaking, in this vs. injecting acid into mojanos. Which I'm going to do this weekend.

However, this thread will get removed if the discussion of these issues isn't carried out respectfully (Denny, Jorjef, re-read that part, k? )
People opposed to it are entitled to their opinion, as Denny is entitled to a rebuttal. But please keep it civil, mature AND respectable.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I think we went off track a bit and got a bit moral lets go back to the topic

Without a doubt I had response from the coral the next day. I expected a slow recovery and a polyp with slow to no response time , instead I got a fast response of opening and closing but wouldn't heal not even make an attempt

The salinity spike in the thawed cup got me wondering what the ice does to ssltwater exactly like how does it mess with parameters etc

I'm going to freeze another , this time WITHOUT a polyp and test that sucker out and then top it off with ro/DI water back to proper salinity and test it again for comparison
Old 03-08-2014, 02:05 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I think you need a faster form of freezing, no water or very little involved just straight to the freezer in the coldest location. Then toss back into the tank for a quick thaw.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

i voted late but did so be for I read down, I voted wont survive. some people were talking about this being done in the medical field all the time but it is way different, that is an instantaneous freezing and only works on certain things, mostly single cell objects. or things that are not alive, they are part of a organism but not the whole organism. but it was neat to see what would happen as fruit flys and some types of insects will survive it so there was a chance, even thought we all know how sensitive corals are to temp change.

as for the other posts, I don't know how many frags I myself and several others have put out on the back deck to cook in the sun, just cuz it was time to trim corals and no one wanted the frags.

I guess I kinda look at it the same as trimming plants in a freshwater tank, just needs to be done once and a while when you have groth rates as fast as I used to have. guess I could have went to T5 bulbs to slow it down.....

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:59 AM

arrowan54 is on a distinguished road

a lid to keep evaporation down to min the salinity has to be out for this reason ?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

and if you really want to boil it down, think about the MILLIONS if not BILLIONS of complex organisms we are killing each time we do a water change..

.. speaking of boiling..
Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
and if you really want to boil it down, think about the MILLIONS if not BILLIONS of complex organisms we are killing each time we do a water change..

.. speaking of boiling..
i need a"like"buton lol

the animal is not awhere of whats going on it doesnt have a brain !
Old 03-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Any post here insinuating people opposed to this are "whiners" will be removed. Discuss results, discuss morality, but discuss it as adults.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I don't see any crying or whining, but I do see a lack of respect for life.
Some of us look at all the life in our tanks as an equal part of a complete ecosystem.

Imagine the uproar if Denny decided to freeze a nuisance fish - maybe an angelfish was nipping at some SPS - under some vague premise of extending shipping times or something.
It's one thing to control pests. It's another to "try out" random experiments to see how far you can push them until they die, then post it on a public forum.
It only encourages others to try more "experiments"

Denny represents a vendor here as well. I expect better.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine.

(this was posted just as Brad removed who I was responding to...)

Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I think you expect way to much. And since my previous post was deleted I will state I fully support what denny is doing and disagree with the last statement. Better Brad????