Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Heres one of each corner.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

They stick those on pretty good, eh? Ya, if it's that stuck, don't risk breaking the tank.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Follows the rules!

Is it easier to pull off fresh silicone then old silicone? like 12 hours old?

I'm livid! I trusted my father to help me silicone the tank and he made the biggest mess possible! Not only did he not listen to a single thing I said in regards to how thick and where but he starts going over it again with his fat fingers making a mess after its starting to set! "Oh you wont see it" Its a tank am I never going to look at it once its full or something?

I think its fully sealed but it looks like crap in the back 2 seams! He didn't even give me a chance to tape the back corners. Theres disgusting smears and finger prints coming out more then an inch from the corners. Is it easier to just pull it all off again and re do it? (seriously ready to pay one of you guys to do this, cash in hand!)

I'm going see how bad of a mess it looks in the morning and if I can simply use a blade to fix this up or if I should spend the next week ripping this silicone off to re-do it. Oh hey and the kicker... for some reason he assumed I wanted the top black brace futher siliconed to the tank so he starts running a bead along the edge to the black brace so now I will never get the top corners cleaned up.....

Just had to vent, couldn't sleep, too angry about the tank.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

You can see why I was hesitant to suggest re-silconing. It's likely easier to peel it when it's cured as you can get a continuous strip; otherwise, if it's not cured it may still be an irritant as well as kinda smear instead of coming off. (Over night is probably enough.) At least you've got dry weather for the near future if it's outside. You could easily razor off the fingerprints or smears but don't mess with the edges.

At least you know that brace isn't going anywhere.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Follows the rules!

I didn't want to have to, but once I started cleaning out the insides and actually crawled inside to scrub the overflow, i noticed theres wasn't much left of the old silicone in some places. Just didn't feel comfortable with how it looked. Thats a lot of water on the floor and crabby people I would have to deal with if it sprung a leak....

I just wish if people didn't want to help, and they wanted nothing to do with my fish, they would go away and not touch my projects.

I'm going to attempt to razor away the nasty figer smears and see how it looks. At least I got the tape in the 2 front corners. And if It still looks like crap, guess I get to go buy more blades and start over again. 2 tubes of silicone left, whats that 2 more trys?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

The first time i redid a tank took three trys until it looked good and held water.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Follows the rules!

Is it easier to pull off the fresh silicone? Its been 12 hours now. If it will be easier I will just head out, buy more blades and start again, but if its going to be just as hard as taking the old stuff off, I will try and fix the ugly first.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Follows the rules!

well fixing it looked like crap, so off it goes! 4 corners are off already. Its easier, just messier. Still wet silicone in some of the spots where its stupidly thick. Its still a little damp outside so will wait until it dries up later so I can tip the tank and crawl inside to do the bottom.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 PM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

Like all artforms.. I did my best, the last time, when the GF had the kids out somewhere and i could relax, prep, tape, and caulk in my own time without outside influence. whats the worst that could go wrong? You don't like the result and have to redo it? I figured it was practice as it was a small tank<40b> and i have tinkered with the idea of building a bigger tank at some point.

just take your time.. make sure you get all the new old silicone off, clean it again with acetone or whatever you are using to clean it and try again.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Follows the rules!

All right. Just siliconed the tank. Very first time I have ever siliconed anything in my life! All I can say is it looks much better then what the first attempt looked like, I really hope this will work. I will take some pictures a little later and see what you guys think... If it looks like its up to holding water standards. Yeesh, time to peel the silicone off my hands now.