Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 AM

crussett is on a distinguished road
Default Got Rods

I drove to Kelowna this morning and picked up about 14 feet of 3/8" acrylic rod and a small sheet of acrylic from IPP. The rods were super cheap but the acrylic sheet on the other hand was a bit pricy. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to build some towers. I'll post some pics of the process and the results.

Chad
Old 10-22-2011, 04:12 AM

crussett is on a distinguished road
Default Aquascape

So here is what I came up with. I had some problems with the large shelf piece as it was too heavy. I ended up having to use 5/8" PVC inserted into a piece of acrylic with a 5/8" hole drilled in it. I then glued the PVC to the acrylic sheet. Also, I drilled 5/8" holes through a heavy rock to use as the base and through all the small rocks and threaded them on until they were almost all the way to the top. I drilled a shallow 5/8" hole in the shelf and placed it on. I then used some epoxy to level the bottom rock so it would not wobble and used epoxy to steady the shelf piece.

For the small tower on the right I drilled a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the rock and placed it on a 3/8" acrylic rod connected to a piece of acrylic. I then drilled a 3/8" hole in the top of the rock and the bottom of the larger rock. I then just stuck them together using a 3/8" rod. I still need to use some epoxy to stabilize the bottom rock.

Chad
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM

cyberdude47 is on a distinguished road

i have a bunch left over from when I did my build, pm me if you need some