Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-20-2009, 03:47 AM

reefracer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input. I guess i just thought that because i prescribe to honesty and integrity that most others do too. I looked at that site for a long time before placing an order. I also don't go on Canreef very often lately as I am busy with work and other responsibilities, therefore I was not aware of the lengthy list of complaints against this vendor. I did not originally purchase 10 dollar frags and am a bit annoyed that you would assume this is the only thing that enticed me order. I originally bought some wysiwyg colonies. I am not looking for your sympathy so you can keep your bloody cynicism to yourself. Why wouldn't Canreef axe him from the forum earlier if he was such a problem. I am not looking to blame anyone, it is just a thought.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 AM

dreef is on a distinguished road

Yes well we all don't live in a city that has a wonderful LFS to buy from.And we all don't have a big sack of cash...just try and bare with the people that might have had to save up,even if it was 10 dollar frags.I learned,never ever going that route again,there's other great online stores,to buy from.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Here are my thoughts, which may or may not reflect the opinion of Canreef.
People bitched for years to have us provide some sort of vendor feedback. We finally did. This vendor got far too many "very unsatisfied" ratings, and anyone wishing to make a purchase should have checked. At very least, ask for PMs on experiences.
Canreef does not and cannot regulate business practices of vendors, we only sell advertising space, with the assumption that the purchaser of this space will conduct business in an honest and fair manner.
Once Canreef became aware of complaints, we checked the ratings page. Almost half were satisified, and people continued to organize group orders.
Really, we have to give the benefit of doubt until such time all doubt is removed.
So yes, if you kept ordering after all the warnings and ratings, well, that was just dumb. A deal isnt a deal if you don't receive your goods, which was the common outcome of most reported dealings.
To the original poster...just because a seller has a website and pays some advertising does not in any way mean they are a reputable vendor. I can put together a site in 20 minutes and get it advertised somewhere, it means nothing. Before anyone sends any money over the Internet for anything, they need to be sure of what they're buying and from whom.
There was enough negative feedback on this guy to set off warning bells, if you didn't listen, or investigate properly, this is the type of outcome to be expected.
As for recourse, unless your Visa will reverse the charges, you're probably hooped. Sueing someone in a different province for a likely smallish amount is likely not to worth the hassle.
I can only hope that people will no longer be trying to organize these group buys.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Well buyer beware is how I see it. It's unfortunate when these things happen but they do happen and you shouldn't buy online without proper research and security. There has been plenty information on almost all forums that advised against doing business with this vendor but I guess some just can't pass up on $10 frags, you get what you pay for and ignorance doesn't get you anywhere. If you received a shipment paypal won't help you, not sure about VISA either.

Sorry if it's a little harsh but a lot of people are complaining about this lately and I just laugh when I see the complaint thread and group order thread on the top of the active thread list

The damage is done, move on and take the lesson with you.
Wow. Blame the victim much? While I can see where you're coming from it simply doesn't excuse the apparently appalling business practices of this vendor.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I wonder though about the ratings forums, and whether or not they should be reviewed annually. I think some of the positive ratings in this case were early on. I doubt there would be many positive ratings at this stage.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
I wonder though about the ratings forums, and whether or not they should be reviewed annually. I think some of the positive ratings in this case were early on. I doubt there would be many positive ratings at this stage.

Deb, you're probably right, but we aren't sure how to review. If we reset the polls, we lose all info, which has some historical benefit. We'll give it some thought though..
Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Vendor rating have to be accumulative over time. Yes a vendor can go down hill fast or suddenly improve. Over all performance is the only true rating for a vendor. If we where to delete the reviews and start fresh than it would be possible for a review from a person with unrealistic expectations to scew the entire rateings. the more people that rate a vendor the more accurate the rating will be

J

Last edited by Jason McK; 08-20-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 AM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

I share your experience. I am one of those people who got screwed.

Paypal will not do anything for you except be a front line moderator until you try to escalate. Once you do that, a message will come up stating the following

Quote:
Not as described - Claim - #PP-750-985-761
Disputed Amount:
$124.10 CAD
Status
We're unable to decide this claim in your favor at this time. PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy applies to the shipment of goods but not to disputes about merchandise quality.

What happens next

We encourage you to work directly with your seller to resolve this matter.
This came from my own Paypal.

I have now contacted the Better Business Bureau to see what they will do.

If that doesn't work, then I will be following through with a lawsuit.
As such, I will be offering for anyone who has issues with Burc that are not resolved to be respresented in that lawsuit if they wish.

I think that would be the only final way for any of us to get any satisfaction from Burc.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 AM

JPotter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansfishy View Post
yup. Couldn't have said it better myself. Even mice will only get stung once before realizing something isnt right
Who is this vendor so others can avoid the problem?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 AM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

The vendor is FRAG-A-LOT.ca

Last edited by Aquattro; 08-20-2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: derogatory comment removed