Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road
Default Looking into RO/DI systems, am I on the right track?

I've been doing a bit of reading on Reverse Osmosis and De-ionized water for my reef tank. I currently use tap water, (Yes, I am a beginner about 8 months into the hobby). I know now that if you want to seriously get into a healthy reef ecosystem you should be using RO/DI water.

So I am currently looking at the BulkReefSupply 75GPD 5 Stage Plus System. This one comes with everything I would need (I think) Including a TDS meter.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...us-system.html#

And, is this the filter replacement kit that I would purchase for this system also?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ilter-kit.html

I have a 55gallon tank, I'm already looking to upgrade but I live in my parents house and just don't have the space to do so, but I have been buying equipment for a slightly larger tank in the future. Anyways, is this RO/DI system a good one to go with in my case?

I think I've got the basics about these systems, and I must say theres a lot less to them than I initially thought. I was quite intimidated by the looks of them when I first heard about them. I feel a lot better now and this is actually going to make the reefing hobby easier for me

Anything else you guys think I should know, or any other products you guys think I should look at before I purchase this one? Thanks in Advance,
-Mandy.

EDIT: Right I forgot to add this, I've also been hearing a lot about bio-pellets. If I were to install a biopellet reactor, this would be a completely different hookup/set-up from the ro/di system right? I thought I heard someone at a LFS saying you could attach it to the RO/DI system but I kinda looked at him funny... Thinking to myself, don't you need a pump to keep the biopellets tumbling? And are you not supposed to be running tank water through the biopellet reactor, not tap water from the RO/DI unit?... Correct me if I'm wrong, but this biopellet reactor is completely separate from the RO/DI system, yes?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

I good RO/DI unit is a must in most cases. I find bulk reef has great prices, but sometimes shipping can kill you. I purchased my unit from Aquasafe years ago and it still works great today. Just another option.

http://www.aquasafecanada.com/store/...-ro-di-systems
Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 PM

molotov is on a distinguished road

That is the system I have. I also added the flush kit, the 150 Gal per day water saving kit. The system is freakin awesome. You're on the right track buying the TDS metre and extra sediment/carbon/DI resin as well.

The best thing is BRS will put it all together for you when you order it. Their customer service is amazing and they stand behind their product. You can't go wrong.

One thing worth mentioning, you might want to buy extra hose as well as some T's and inline ball valves. I also use the mechanical float valves for my reservoirs and they work flawlessly.

Good luck with your purchase
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov View Post
That is the system I have. I also added the flush kit, the 150 Gal per day water saving kit. The system is freakin awesome. You're on the right track buying the TDS metre and extra sediment/carbon/DI resin as well.

The best thing is BRS will put it all together for you when you order it. Their customer service is amazing and they stand behind their product. You can't go wrong.

One thing worth mentioning, you might want to buy extra hose as well as some T's and inline ball valves. I also use the mechanical float valves for my reservoirs and they work flawlessly.

Good luck with your purchase
Thanks Molotov, what exactly does the flush kit do? I've heard about it but I don't know much about it at all. Is the flush kit, Ts, hose and inline ball valves all things I can get on BRS.com?

EDIT: I just checked, the system I'm looking at purchasing actually comes with a flush kit. Did you mean you added an additional one?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

The flush kit allows you to "flush" the membrane before running the system each time which will preserve the membrane and help use less of your DI resin up. Its well worth it. BRS sells these too.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM

The RO/DI system im looking at comes with a flush kit, so I don't have to buy a separate one right?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM

Lonster is on a distinguished road

I have the aquasafe as well and it works great for me on my 90 gal. If you look on eBay you can purchase from them and get the package with the tds meter and all of the replacement filters for basically the same price as the brs model. Its weird that it is so much cheaper that way but it is.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I have the same unit you are looking at from BRS. The benefit of buying from them is that they really tend to back their stuff up. If you ever want to make mods to it in the future...you can count on them having the various options available. My advice would be to order several pre filters along with one spare set of filters when you order the unit. You go through pre filters the fastest and they are cheap.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM

molotov is on a distinguished road

if the unit you're looking at buying has a flush kit there is no need to purchase anoter one.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

And if you can afford it, the 150 gpd water saver is worth it, especially if you're on a water meter. But it must have at least 65 psi or it won't work properly. If you don't have the 65 PSI you need to purchase the booster pump kit as well.

Tags
ro/di