Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM

4lti7ude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Same goes for X-Box & Playstation, hard drives! Come on now, I can remember back in the day when video games came on a solid state cartridge that was plugged into the console, no moving parts! As far as I'm concerned X-Box & Play Station are a step backwards with spinning drives, both magnetic & optical.

So, until I see something more to my liking, I'll be plugging away on my Compaq Presario Notebook that's close to 7 years old now and occasionally I'll fire up the PC with 800 Mhz processor & 13 Gig hardrive to keep Windows XP up to date.
Console systems can go the route of Flash drive video games, but they cant just scrap a 5 Year program now and change to flash drives.
Maybe the PS4 will have that, but now the world of online downloading games is becoming bigger because of less chances of stealing video games.

As technology advances, so does the technology to steal this.
So while were having a war with the decision of buying a PS3 or Xbox360 the companies are having a war with the decision of how there going to keep their profit from the last year. Their full job isnt to entertain you, but to make money.

You really cant be impressed with the iPad if your looking for a real computer to do hardcore computer things.
Its way to hard to fit more cores into slimmer packages like that, but somewhere in Japan some guys making a new core in his basement. (Itll be out in a bit with the upgraded iPad)
It may seem that your simple compaq still keeps you happy, but with such limited power you limit yourself to what you can do on your compaq.
If you cant push your computer you have currently to do even a fraction of what the computers can do now... Then its time to switch.
Computers can do sooo much more now, from Wireless controlling of entertainment centers, to security for your house!

Wasting time with slow load times is a thing of the past.
Widows XP isnt even considered a windows much anymore. You'll be much more happy with a newer computer that can open 5 Tabs at once without freeezing. It sounds like you dont use your compaq for much tho, which WOULD make the iPad a good choice for you.

Its very limited in upgrades of hardware but the iPad is mainly a netbook which im guessing you use your Compaq for? The iPad is your old desktop upgraded and ready to move around with you. Unless your Adobeing stuff or doing 3D max (Something Ram intensified) The iPad is a good replacement of a desktop computer.

4lti7ude's 20Gallon Nano Tank

Last edited by 4lti7ude; 07-25-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:35 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

The Compaq is pretty much my main use hardware ATM. I had my gaming phases and spending too much time at the computer days like I'm sure many others have. I think I have that out of my system now and refuse to jump on the upgrade bandwagon for the sake of marketing and lining pockets of already bloated companies. I like to think I'm tech savvy enough to make the right decision of when to buy, but then again, the 42" LCD TV I treated myself to a few years ago is already a dinosaur. Came with a single DVI input for picture and my Shaw digital cable box has HDMI output, so I had to buy an adapter cable and later an HDMI switchbox for multiple HDMI sources. Now I see most computers come with HDMI outputs and new TVs have multiple HDMI in connections. And of course there are the new 3D televisions.... These days I prefer to spend my fixed income on other, more outdoorsy things like saving up for those winter backcountry ski trips and keeping my motorbikes on the road.

Yep, the Compaq takes forever to boot up and is pretty slow, but I have more time than money for computer hardware upgrades at this time. It does what I need to do, especially typing text into these boxes on the forum. I'll leave the heavy duty 3D computing stuff to others for the time being.

zoaElite, I hear you about the spinning media, although my daughter has an Xbox and she hasn't had any trouble with the hard drive or optical drive. I never liked CDs, DVDs etc. More single use, throw away crap to fill our landfills. The burning software was and is a pain to deal with and more often than not you end up with corrupt discs, and the RW ones? holy cow, another nightmare. I'll take a floppy disc over optical media for useability, except that they obviously don't hold anywhere near sufficient data. And that's my whole point, where are the solid state drives bloated companies? Let's go! Kudos to iPad for at least making an attempt in that regard.

Last edited by mike31154; 07-25-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm on my second replacement xbox 360. RROD twice!

My iphone 3G is STILL damn near useless with the new OS4 and the patch. Steve wants me to buy his new phone I'm sure.

My 3+ year old macbook pro is still keeping me freelancing and has been rock solid. The iPad would never come close to replacing even it for power but for light duty users who surf on the couch I imagine it's ideal. I've never seen one in person yet.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

im on my 4th xbox lol, i dont even play the dam thing,just got that new one so im shure it will be full of all new problems
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I've never owned a 360 but I do love my iPad. I use it for everything that it was intended for. It neither replaces my iMac desktop nor my iPhone though. They each have their place.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 PM

Fishfreak is on a distinguished road

My wife and I both have Ipads and love them. They do exactly what they are designed for. Awesome for surfing, movies, displaying photos, email and music. We both spend time on them every day and our kids like using them as well. They are still a little to young to understand how to use a mouse but a touch screen on the other hand, no problem.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Since my xbox went into semi retirement (only plays dora dvds while I wait for Halo Reach) it has been running smoothly lol.