Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-18-2011, 06:47 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road
Default Hermit crabs in 24 hour lighting

Hey everyone,

Ive been running my sump lighting for 24 hours a day for my macro algae. And today I took some of my hermit crabs from my display and put them in the sump. Will they survive in 24 hour lighting or not?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

why is your sump lighting running 24hrs? usually people have it on a reverse schedule where your lights in your display are running for 12 during the day and your fuge runs for 12 during the night it will help your macro grow and balance out your ph during the night time.macro or anything for that matter doesnt need 24hr lights it needs time to rest like anything else does cheers

btw crabs are the root of all evil next to socks....
Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

i run my fuge light 24/7 (done so for years) and have all kinds of crabs in one section .
they dont care and the light does not seem to effect them.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Macro algaes are similar to terrestrial plants..... They will grow better if they get a period of darkness to allow them to photosynthesize properly ( I can't remember the proper term for it)
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-21-2011, 06:05 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
why is your sump lighting running 24hrs? usually people have it on a reverse schedule where your lights in your display are running for 12 during the day and your fuge runs for 12 during the night it will help your macro grow and balance out your ph during the night time.macro or anything for that matter doesnt need 24hr lights it needs time to rest like anything else does cheers

btw crabs are the root of all evil next to socks....
Some of my macro goes sexual if I don't run the light all the time, so I can't really stop the lighting.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

its been documented that Chaeto does not grow any faster with a break in photo period.

also, if you keep any kind of Caulerpa, you run the risk of it going sexual which can deplete the oxygen in your tank very fast and wipe out your livestock.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Plant have shown increased growth on 24 hour lights schedule. I am a avid gardener and have read multiple books on horticulture you can run 24 hour light shcudule with no downfall to plants
Old 07-21-2011, 03:54 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

have my macro fuge lit 24/7, had the same group of hermits for years (and the Chaeto keeps growing).
Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Most plants that require a dark period need it for flower stimulation. Ie. Morning glory, hibiscus , cannabis these plants are stimulated buy dark to produce flowers not to grow. I have grown a pink wisteria ( robina) tree for 1 year in my house to put it out side the following spring in one year of 24 hour light(t5) the tree grew over 3' tall I can garentee that would never have happened outdoors with a dark period