Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
"This change of phase (from a liquid to a gas) requires heat, called "latent heat". When water evaporates, it removes heat, lowering the temperature of whatever the water was in contact with. For both water and land surface, most of this heat energy comes from the surface, not from the air. "

Ref: http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_evaporation.htm
Yes, having several years of physics, I understand evaporative cooling. I still don't know what you're talking about. Probably best if we leave it at that
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
it goes both ways (just like Kien)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Let's go sit in a corner and cry together.
Nice try =)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Nice try =)
rats...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Some good info started in this thread! I just gotta say though that this is a hobby. People have hobbies because they enjoy it and every hobby I have costs me a small fortune. If cost becomes such an issue that you can't enjoy your hobby anymore than it is time to find something else. If people enjoy LED's then they should use them, if they enjoy MH then they should use them, etc. The only time I even considered power/cost savings when I switched over to LED was when I was using it to bamboozle the wife into agreeing to let me get new lights!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
The only time I even considered power/cost savings when I switched over to LED was when I was using it to bamboozle the wife into agreeing to let me get new lights!
Ha! Sounds familiar
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Yes, having several years of physics, I understand evaporative cooling. I still don't know what you're talking about. Probably best if we leave it at that
As always, I might have not been able to clear up my point I meant that LED plays a very important role in terms of reducing heat by saying "Save your reef during the summer" and you wrote you prefer LEDs because of evaporation which also falls in the heat issue. That was my point. Man I need to get better at how I write

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
but when did Mrhasan turn from the biggest led fan to having to debate how crappy they are in led threads.
Haha. I was never the biggest LED fan nor did I ever say that leds are crappy. Infact, given the chance and financial possibility, I would move to LEDs because of all the options they give. And my point was/is/will never be that "leds are crappy" (other than some fixtures which are really really crappy!). My points always is that LED cannot save you money; atleast for now It just lowers electricity bill (given that you are not replacing the saving with something else ), helps with issues related to heat and gives you more options.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Canreef is giving me brain cancer again .

LED LOCK THEORY: No LED related topic has the ability to outlive 7 pages of consecutive non-sarcastic discussion on Canreef.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Canreef is giving me brain cancer again .

LED LOCK THEORY: No LED related topic has the ability to outlive 7 pages of consecutive non-sarcastic discussion on Canreef.
that's why these are the best threads
Old 03-12-2013, 01:46 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

If and when I can ever afford led it wouldn't be for the power savings aspect. I'm a control freak now and love the "idea" of controlling color and also I have temp issues it would solve

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 04-02-2014, 05:23 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

My decision to go LED was for a few things. A 60" tank in my Mobile. With 3 250w MH caused a TON of evap. Windows were always blocks of ice in winter, getting moldy and the heat/humidity was like the tropics. Now I went DIY to start. Trying to save $ because there wasn't many cheaper alternatives 3 years ago. Now, my present DIY is lacking some spectrums and growing Dino's, Corals are almost gone. I am going to get some redymade LED's to hopefully increase tank health. My power bill is a lot less now tho, and the humdty/evap is much better. So I am staying with LED. Just need to find what will work for me and I think it's the Evergrow D120's Less $ than what I have in my DIY setup too!!!!

Umm, a tank or 5