Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 AM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
What happens to the couple of camel shrimp when they finish eating the aiptasia?
Also don't you mean peppermint shrimp? I know they eat aiptasia and you can put them in your main tank. I was not aware that camel shrimp eat aiptasia.
Last time I checked the diet of a peppermint shrimp wasn't solely aiptasia. So worrying about them not surviving long term is not an issue. If you are that concerned about them long term throw them up to the DT when they have done their job in the sump. Im with fkshiu, I would throw a few pep. shrimp in the sump and when they do what they need to do throw them in the DT or back to the LFS
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinsn View Post
Last time I checked the diet of a peppermint shrimp wasn't solely aiptasia. So worrying about them not surviving long term is not an issue. If you are that concerned about them long term throw them up to the DT when they have done their job in the sump. Im with fkshiu, I would throw a few pep. shrimp in the sump and when they do what they need to do throw them in the DT or back to the LFS
That is what I thought of doing, but with all the pumps I have going. 1 return, 3 reactors, 3 on the skimmer (ReCIRC), most likely they will get zapped by on of them. At $10-12 bucks a piece, it can get costly.

Hmmm, what to do? I have blown some Kalk paste on them, will see what this does. Then look at other solutions. I was going to leave them, but again, don't want them in the DT.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

You could set up a egg crate baffle on the bubble trap, alternating the egg crate to create smaller holes that the shrimp cant make it through without restricting flow. Let the peppermints do what they have to do and deal with them later.

Also, Im not too sure they would get sucked into a pump they may have small brains but they are smarter than that. I have had various shrimp in the past go down my overflow into the sump. I fished them out months later when I cleaned the sump as I thought they were dead. (trigger and dotty back were not so nice to small shrimp) Its a gamble but I bought 15 peppermints from RC and got a good deal on them for buying quantity.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:40 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

No, I actually mean camel shrimp. It was an article I saw on the zeovit forums that I can't seem to find now. They placed a piece of live rock infested with aiptasia but also encrusted with some coral. Camel shrimp are know to be reef unsafe because they will actively pick at corals causing coral death. However (the article noted) that the camel shrimp ate the aiptasia first. The rock was then quickly removed before the shrimp got a chance to attack the coral. They tried this with a few other rocks and the same pattern emerged.

At the end of the day, since it's in the sump you could use either peppermints or camel shrimp. The bottom line is that you should deal with the aiptasia before they have a chance to spread to the display tank. The shrimp will simply scavenge whatever else is in the sump when the aiptasia are gone. Throw in a bit of mysis every few days, for example.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:36 AM

Jeff_ is on a distinguished road

The other choice is put in a UV sterilizer on the return pump line (depending on the flow) so any aiptasia clones don't make it through into the Display. I remember an article a while back where the tank had a cryptic filtration zone (no light) and they had a UV sterilizer to get rid of the budding aiptasia. Apparently they make pretty good filters just like sponges.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Beccadawn is on a distinguished road

Tagging along, I have the same problem..... but they've managed to get into the sump & the 2nd refugium/seahorse display tank on the same level. I have a feeling I helped with that though by moving rocks around, but none thus far in the main display tank. So far only little tiny ones all over the glass.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Update:

K, I am not taking a chance and bought 6 peppermints from Kevin @ Red Coral... Thanks again Kevin!

Kevin brings in peppermints that do eat the unwanted critters, he will even show you before you buy... So hopefully these guys don't get sucked into pumps and can do their job.

Oh Yeah!!! One is about to have babies, so yippee!

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Hey Rick, how much were the pep's at RC I need a few to get rid of some unwanted in my DT.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM

othicx is on a distinguished road

same here
Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Well what a waste of money!!!!

Already found 2 peppermint shrimp in my skimmer intake pump. I can't see the other 4, maybe they are alive... But who knows!

No shrimp hovering around the aptaisa, so I think this isn't going to work. the fact I can't see them is maybe telling me they got sucked into my NP BioPellet Reactors (I have 3 of them).

That was a waste of money!!!!