Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Custom build LED fixture

Well I have been thinking of getting more lights for the tank but the options for T5HO and metal halide are not financially feasible for me. Adding two more T5HO would cost me around $50/7-8 months and with halide, I will need two pedants (to cover 30") and I am pretty sure my landlord wont tolerate any drilling in the wall/ceiling.

So I am setting a budget of around $40-$50 to make a DIY led.

Current lighting: A coralife T5HO 30" fixture with 1x 10,000k light + 1x actinic light. A total of 62W.

LED basics: As far as I know, LEDs should be around 2.5 to 3.5 W/gallon as a rule of thumb. But since I already have 62W over the tank (3 W/gallon), I am aiming for something like 2W/gallon at max. That means, a highest of 40W LED system. Will that be good enough? Should I go for more or lower wattage?

LED fixture: Since I don't have any option for drilling or handing kit, I am thinking of sticking the fixture at the back of the current fixture like shown in the figure. I am thinking whether I should get a shinny surface or just regular plastic. Do I need reflectors? Do I need heat sinks? If heat sink is required, how would I mount the heat sink with the fixture if it's plastic.

LED orientation: I am trying to achieve a full spectrum along with good color pop. I have selected 14k LED, royal blue LED, 420nm UV purple and red. Does that give enough spectrum? Will it help with the color pop along with grow? And what should be the ratio? I have just created an outline of the orientation that is shown in the figure.

Driver: After all the lights and orientation are corrected, I will select the driver. Possibly two drivers with one being regular one (to run 14k) and others being connected to dimmable driver. Or should I do the opposite?

Any suggestions are welcome. I am familiar with DIY but I am not familiar with LED lighting for reefs.

Thanks