Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

I started with reef. If for any reason my tank crashes and everything dies, it'll be fish only afterwards
Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

If anything I'd be more inclined to run coral-only with no fish, haha. I love coral and random inverts, I don't really care as much about the fish.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Vitaminz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Vitaminz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgirl189 View Post
Not long. Just enough to say it's cycled and add a few live things like snails, shrimp and a few softies. There's not a chance I'd dump the hobby altogether because I do love it. I'm just getting a bit discouraged from my SPS goal. I think all the dosing and special finicky corals that need ridiculously perfect water parameters and what not may be just too much for me right now. I still don't feel entirely confident of the whole reef system and how it's all supposed to fit together perfectly.

It's life too. Discussing a big life changing move (career and geographically) and having a child, showing my dogs, crazy family drama, a full time job with mandatory overtime. Ugh. Maybe I'm just being a downer.

I just want a nice beautiful living piece of art to come home to everyday and be confident in myself that everything will still be there the next day. I don't want to kill anything. Ever. Except maybe an ugly crab or the odd aptasia. I could probably do that much.
IMO you shouldn't be adding SPS until you tank is at least 6months old, gives the tank enough time to balance out and get established. SPS are very finicky, and like lots of light.

And just fyi, a reef system is never perfect, and if it is, it doesn't last long, too many variables. The problem becomes that we are constantly adding and taking things out.

Also sooner or later you will kill something, it is inevitable.... Some maybe not your fault, some maybe it is. That is just life

Jeff
Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Not long. Just enough to say it's cycled and add a few live things like snails, shrimp and a few softies. There's not a chance I'd dump the hobby altogether because I do love it. I'm just getting a bit discouraged from my SPS goal. I think all the dosing and special finicky corals that need ridiculously perfect water parameters and what not may be just too much for me right now. I still don't feel entirely confident of the whole reef system and how it's all supposed to fit together perfectly.

It's life too. Discussing a big life changing move (career and geographically) and having a child, showing my dogs, crazy family drama, a full time job with mandatory overtime. Ugh. Maybe I'm just being a downer.

I just want a nice beautiful living piece of art to come home to everyday and be confident in myself that everything will still be there the next day. I don't want to kill anything. Ever. Except maybe an ugly crab or the odd aptasia. I could probably do that much.
Hey remember ROME wasnt built in a year nor was the ARK built in 48 hrs. I read for about 12 months on all that i could do before taking the plunge. read what I have put in my end state. doesnt matter how long you have been reading until you take the plunge you know JACK ****!!!!!!

PATIENCE PATIENCE. so guys on here like Dez Can make SPS grow like weeds. Some of us can kill them in 5 mins. rushing your time and wondering if this SPS coral is going to grow will eat you inside. tae it slow and take your time everybody wants a perfect Reef. But in this hobby sometimes Life gets in the way of it and $$$$$$ , children, husbands , the Wife, Boyfriends you get the picture. Aot of times some will buy outright a current system and half will die. Will this make a bad Reefer? NO it just means that sometimes we need to look at what we get our selves in to. When I want a perfect Reef I just come on here and look at some of our Canreefer's tanks. and then I look at mine and say heck its looking pretty good why would I want to get rid of it. Then I have the thought of going FOWLR and think Been there done that and wasn't impressed. Then I look at all the cool Corals that I have. you don't need to have Top of the line Corals SPS sometimes fall in to that Category. I think just starting out do Leathers, Mushrooms, RIcordias, these ones are the ones that makes you think about what to have and whatnot to have ...

At the end of the day. sit back and go the road of least resistance and you tank will follow you. HTH

Mike
Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Hey remember ROME wasnt built in a year nor was the ARK built in 48 hrs. I read for about 12 months on all that i could do before taking the plunge. read what I have put in my end state. doesnt matter how long you have been reading until you take the plunge you know JACK ****!!!!!!

PATIENCE PATIENCE. so guys on here like Dez Can make SPS grow like weeds. Some of us can kill them in 5 mins. rushing your time and wondering if this SPS coral is going to grow will eat you inside. tae it slow and take your time everybody wants a perfect Reef. But in this hobby sometimes Life gets in the way of it and $$$$$$ , children, husbands , the Wife, Boyfriends you get the picture. Aot of times some will buy outright a current system and half will die. Will this make a bad Reefer? NO it just means that sometimes we need to look at what we get our selves in to. When I want a perfect Reef I just come on here and look at some of our Canreefer's tanks. and then I look at mine and say heck its looking pretty good why would I want to get rid of it. Then I have the thought of going FOWLR and think Been there done that and wasn't impressed. Then I look at all the cool Corals that I have. you don't need to have Top of the line Corals SPS sometimes fall in to that Category. I think just starting out do Leathers, Mushrooms, RIcordias, these ones are the ones that makes you think about what to have and whatnot to have ...

At the end of the day. sit back and go the road of least resistance and you tank will follow you. HTH

Mike
lol and yet you want to trade me for my 50g lol... i love your systemits huge and great and high end equiptment.....you need to find a way to keep it if you have to move it heat your garage and set it up in there

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Dude love too just can't its called moving I and renovating my basement
Old 12-29-2011, 11:47 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Lol no no I don't want to add any SPS today or anything. I'm just impatient and want to know that I could eventually add them and know how to care for them properly when I do. I feel like there is just so much to know and I might never understand it all. Like the universe, haha.

But for now I'm sticking to the simple easy hardy things, like snails and softies. I just need to grow some patience!!

And thanks Coralgurl! I'm thinking of heading to VS this weekend to get myself a new push up thanks to you
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM
patd

I kept FOWLR tanks for 20 years and just got into reef about 8 months ago. The thing is, although I always enjoyed having a FOWLR tank - I never really felt the passion I do now, since taking on corals.
Not to say it has not been without frustrations - not by a LONG shot...but I think the learning curve is a big part of what is holding my interest.
That OR maybe I just needed another hobby to sink thousands of hard earned dollars into and spend hours of time on, only to raise my blood pressure and keep my up at night....I'm a sucker for punishment.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:18 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

[quote=reefgirl189;665806]Lol no no I don't want to add any SPS today or anything. I'm just impatient and want to know that I could eventually add them and know how to care for them properly when I do. I feel like there is just so much to know and I might never understand it all. Like the universe, haha.

But for now I'm sticking to the simple easy hardy things, like snails and softies. I just need to grow some patience!!

And thanks Coralgurl! I'm thinking of heading to VS this weekend to get myself a new push up thanks to you [/

Think of your tank the same as raising your son, you want to raise him right, with manners, morals, provide him with every opportunity to be successful, it's not going to happen overnight. You also learn as you go, hobby is the same. I bet your tank has some pretty cool stuff going on now...take lots of pics, you'd be amazed at how it will transform and you don't even notice it day to day!

And thanks for the laugh!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 AM

troni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lol no no I don't want to add any SPS today or anything. I'm just impatient and want to know that I could eventually add them and know how to care for them properly when I do. I feel like there is just so much to know and I might never understand it all. Like the universe, haha.

And thanks Coralgurl! I'm thinking of heading to VS this weekend to get myself a new push up thanks to you

i'm new myself tanks about 2 mo old and ive found if i read and research for a week then rest and let it sink in, debate in my head and stuff then i'm not so overwhelmed.
also...at the risk of makin someone mad...everything thing you read and hear about tends to be a bit anal, not to say that theres no truth or anything, just...what works in someone else tank doesnt always work in yours.

20g reef 25g sump, DIY led form modular led, 2 false percs