Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 AM

Seth72 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
Canister filters are breeding ground for Bacteria because of all the Nitrates it can hold.

Also changing the lights may add to your problem too, new lights still require a short break in time.

If you have an outbreak of algae it usually indicates that there is a source of nitrates or phosphates. Often this is caused by over feeding. However, there could be many other sources. Look for dirt traps in the filtration system, low grades of carbon in use, and the foods your using.

Don't assume that because your readings for nitrate and/or phosphate are low that you do not have a problem. Often algaes can absorb these quickly, so the water reads good and the algae grow well.

Chemiclean is used only as a last resort. regular water changes, less light, more water flow, and siphoning out the cyno would help.

Here is a link that might help http://other-invertebrates.suite101...._cyanobacteria

Ken - BWA
Would really aggresive skimming fix that....i havent bought a skimmer yet,but i was reading somewhere that I should buy a skimmer rated for twice the size of my water volume.