Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-21-2002, 06:04 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road
Default Peacock Mantis

My worst nightmare came true. I was in denial for about 4 or 5 months. I kept hearing a snapping sound in my tank for the last 4-5 months. No fish mysteriuously dissappearing, so I assumed it was a pistol shrimp. I walked by me tank last night and I couldn't believe it. I saw a Peacock Mantis Shrimp. One of the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen before. My heart sank though, knowing that I'd have to get him out one day and set up a nano for it. I watched it for a bit and saw it crawl into a hole in the rock near the top. I popped my hood open and pulled the rock out right away, but I think I was too slow...no mantis in the rock. It was a small rock and I could see through all available holes. I don't know when I'll ever see him again, but I've heard him for about 5 months. It's about 2" long. Beautiful. Anybody have any experience getting them out? Any style of traps work best? I'm not about to take my reef apart. It's a 150 Gallon tall tank. (48long,24 deep, 30 tall). Any suggestions? And also....what exactly is so harmful about them besides them eating small fish and killing off your hermit crab population?

Thanks so much for your help.

Desmond
Old 11-21-2002, 06:13 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Dez, they'll eat anything in the tank the can smack. And they're really fast, so they can smack anything they like!
Have you seen the pop bottle style trap? You cut the top off the bottle and glue it inverted back into the bottle. Shrimp can go in but gets confused coming out. Mantis are really smart though, so if you miss the first time, you won't get a second chance :P
You might get it to come to the surface to feed from a stick and maybe net it. Adam used to twirl his around on the end of a feeding stick!! It would just hang on forever
Good luck though, and if you do catch it, they make interesting "pets" in their own tank
Old 11-21-2002, 07:45 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

When they get big enough, they can smash through glass too. What's the phrase for them, thumb-splitters or something like that? Apparently it's a very literal nickname...

Good luck with whatever you end up deciding to do!
Old 11-22-2002, 12:55 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

I bought a Mantis trap from MOPS. I have no use for it, because as far as I know I have no Mantis.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 11-22-2002, 03:12 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Bob, maybe I'll have to borrow it from you when I come to Calgary next weekend (30th). The only thing I caught last night was my biggest starfish in my inverted-pop-bottle trap. Darn. I don't even know how he fit in the stupid hole....he was all scrunched up inside the bottle and I had to rescue him this morning. Would that be okay Bob? Thanks.

Des
Old 11-22-2002, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
Bob, maybe I'll have to borrow it from you when I come to Calgary next weekend (30th).
Probably. and what can you do for me :?: :?:

Old 11-22-2002, 11:06 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcipema
Probably. and what can you do for me :?: :?:
:shock: starting to sound like my wife Bob

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:21 PM

:shock:
Quote:
starting to sound like my wife Bob

Steve
Ouch!!!! You Westeners starting to develop a sense of humour. :?: :?: :?: :?: :P

Old 11-22-2002, 11:25 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcipema
Ouch!!!! You Westeners starting to develop a sense of humour. :?: :?: :?: :?: :P
hehe we have always had one.. just look at Brad :shock:

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:51 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Steve, remember those snails you thought you were getting....?