Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Lots of room in the front now for all my chalice and clams, if they go in the tank.

Sorry for the window in the pic, not sure what its doing over there.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Cannot wait to see how your going to fill it, and to see it filled out
Man I am still soo far behind in my build
Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli@fijireefrock.com View Post
Cannot wait to see how your going to fill it, and to see it filled out
Man I am still soo far behind in my build
Im not sure how Im going to do that now Eli. Less rock now and to many frags...

Big Kamloops sale I guess..
Old 02-08-2014, 04:28 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Looking even better Doug. I think you will appreciate the room. Here is a video of that coral pegging I told you about.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbh4iEKlIUw

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:33 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Rearrange your entire setup,...
From the couple picture you have I would do couple things a little different,...keeping in mind you want chalice SPS and clams to fit just perfect and maybe some Euphyllia corals later,..

You have few different sizes of shelf Some really nice Pukani and Premium Fiji I believe.

I would place the smallest Fiji in the middle bottom then place one or maybe 2 shelves over top and only going no more than couple inches of the bottom pane enough hiding and swimming for smaller fish.

I would upright the pukani in a cone shape over half the tank center going back almost the entire length,back laping them and enough space for the fish..Greg some more Fiji leaning towards the back pane creating tunnels and flat surface for more smaller pukani rock and build it all on a similar disign and in between have a couple more smaller shelves petruding outwards for chalices or SPS as now you have an almost 3D look as your front is semi full with the 1st shelves you placed and perfect for the clams or Euphyllia corals.
Your entire top of the rocks and all crevices in the Pukani is perfect for all your SPS.
YOU DON'T Need to use those beautiful pieces of shelf as covering for the overflow.
That's only one design in mind.

Another design as I call it mountain to ravine with a far hill.

Starting from the overflow box with again few smaller pieces of Fiji placed on the bottom then on top going length wise of the tank place the longest shelf petruding away.
Then build the biggest mountain style going centre of the tank with Pukani leaving the back overflow wall to be filled with Premium Fiji covering it entirely keeping in mind not too dense but backwards overlapping (keeping the 3D effect in mind)
Now you have the entire 3/4 of the tank to fill maybe one or 2 freee standing and almost the entire height on the tank with maybe smaller shelves in between or maybe grab a pukani and mold it to a hammer or an L shape piece ,...

I hope you don't mind my imput on your design as it is nice but with what you bought from me you could make it the craziest look lots of people only dream of,...
Old 02-08-2014, 04:50 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Looking even better Doug. I think you will appreciate the room. Here is a video of that coral pegging I told you about.

Thanks for the link Mark. You inspired the rock rework....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli@fijireefrock.com View Post
Rearrange your entire setup,...
From the couple picture you have I would do couple things a little different,...keeping in mind you want chalice SPS and clams to fit just perfect and maybe some Euphyllia corals later,..

You have few different sizes of shelf Some really nice Pukani and Premium Fiji I believe.

I would place the smallest Fiji in the middle bottom then place one or maybe 2 shelves over top and only going no more than couple inches of the bottom pane enough hiding and swimming for smaller fish.

I would upright the pukani in a cone shape over half the tank center going back almost the entire length,back laping them and enough space for the fish..Greg some more Fiji leaning towards the back pane creating tunnels and flat surface for more smaller pukani rock and build it all on a similar disign and in between have a couple more smaller shelves petruding outwards for chalices or SPS as now you have an almost 3D look as your front is semi full with the 1st shelves you placed and perfect for the clams or Euphyllia corals.
Your entire top of the rocks and all crevices in the Pukani is perfect for all your SPS.
YOU DON'T Need to use those beautiful pieces of shelf as covering for the overflow.
That's only one design in mind.

Another design as I call it mountain to ravine with a far hill.

Starting from the overflow box with again few smaller pieces of Fiji placed on the bottom then on top going length wise of the tank place the longest shelf petruding away.
Then build the biggest mountain style going centre of the tank with Pukani leaving the back overflow wall to be filled with Premium Fiji covering it entirely keeping in mind not too dense but backwards overlapping (keeping the 3D effect in mind)
Now you have the entire 3/4 of the tank to fill maybe one or 2 freee standing and almost the entire height on the tank with maybe smaller shelves in between or maybe grab a pukani and mold it to a hammer or an L shape piece ,...

I hope you don't mind my imput on your design as it is nice but with what you bought from me you could make it the craziest look lots of people only dream of,...
All input is welcome Eli. I still have all 50 lbs. of Fiji and all the branching and some shelf pieces, including the large mushroom style piece.

I have to read over your post a couple times yet.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post

Mark, did you actually drill into the coral bottoms? If one removes all the plugs, then thats the only way, besides the epoxy route to.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

Any updates Doug? I really love the look of your pukani, going to have to incorporate that into my next build I think.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherd View Post
Looking good! Will you be using the reactors(other than the calcium reactor )?
I just ordered a 3rd also. Looks stupid in such a beautiful sump with my other gfo reactor in the way. I will figure out how to run my gfo in the downflow or switch to Brightwell. Not sure what I will run in the 3rd yet either but just looks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Any updates Doug? I really love the look of your pukani, going to have to incorporate that into my next build I think.
Its coming along. Been a slow last couple weeks. I just decided one day to get my stock away from the bubble algae before it grew on them.

I cut every plug/base from every sps with a hacksaw. Rock work was left as in last pic, as I wanted to move stuff. I did however not like the glass bottom on the chalice pieces and the clams, so they all sit on chopped up rock or bench pieces.

Scrubbed the clams all clean, although they never had much on them and all the snails that were not like a moving piece of bubble algae.

Skimmer is finally broken in and starting to skim well. Running one MP 40 and one MP 20 besides my return pump. Think I will add a second 40 however. Overflow working like a charm now. Very quiet. Just a little exciting when restarting because of my plumbing design.

One think that has peed me off, is I notice the other day a very slight cloudiness in my water, which of course meant a slight ammonia reading. For CRAP sakes. I have to much rock according to some and cycled for 85 years and used start up. Give me a freakin break. AND not that much of a fishie stock.

So doing some decent water changes and following Reef Pilots suggestion of MB7, which I was going to use eventually. Doing 2 caps every night for 2 weeks to help the bacterial filtration to get established. {Sheez, thought I did that}. Seems to be working well so far. Every coral and fish took the transfer well. Old missis perc seems to be impressed with her new larger home.

I had to jury rig my 2 sets of led,s. Waiting for my new 2080 to arrive. My hanger bars from Grizz, arrived today. Very good work. Still awaiting my Apex gold package to.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 AM
Rest In Peace

I have my stand and 30g sitting beside my sump in the office. Just trying to decide if I should drill it for a rock refugium or not. I have some nice bench pieces and branching left, plus 50# of Fiji. I assume its all or closed to cycled in the last 2 months. .

Or may just sell it all. Getting to cluttered in the office and my tank is holding a fair bit of rock