Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Today I began the tear-down of my old tanks at my previous house. I'm very tired of going there every day to feed and clean the tanks. (more feed than clean as evidenced by the look of the tanks right now).

I also bought my first two fish for the new tank. Two little glass cardinals will see the display if they fare well over the next month in my quarantine tank. I'm hoping to give myself some good habits instead of the bad ones I've been culturing for years in this hobby.

The Display is looking really good and the Chromis and Goby have done well, along with the small clean up crew that I added. Tests are all still reading zero so I have to say, Prodibio Startup has really come through for me.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with sphelps that adding rubber couplers inline between the return pump and the output to the tank, especially before it makes contact with the wall should really help with the noise transfer upstairs.

If you really have no room, which I can understand as it looks pretty tight, then maybe consider cutting an access panel where the return plumbing enters the wall and adding the coupler there.

Other than that, great looking build!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Yesterday I added the fish from my other tanks into the main display...they seem very happy though I was worried about my clown as he seemed distressed while in transfer between my houses.

I'm using Prodibio on this tank but the instructions for use from both them and from Aqua-digital are pretty vague, so after dosing 30 vials of Startup 8 days ago, today I started with the bio-digest and bioptim. I will start tracking them at 15 days now. Hopefully this keeps my tank ticking along the way that it's supposed to.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:05 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

30 vials?

YAY, FISH!!!! I just bought a 6-pack of those Cardinalfish for my 50-gallon LPS tank. They are very pretty.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

Figured an update is long overdue. Last week, I purchased my first batch of frags during a trip to Kamloops. Thanks again Matt.

Here they are in a little quarantine tank after i dipped and inspected them thoroughly. They are just under three stunners right now but I plan to move a couple of them up to the display today.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:53 PM

I see sticks!

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

Yup...4 of the in the display now. Having a few lighting issues. One LED went out in one of my parallel strings and the fuses shortly followed to protect the other LEDS in those strings. Needless to say...changing some fuses and troubleshooting that LED today.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM

Oh fun stuff...not.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Yup...4 of the in the display now. Having a few lighting issues. One LED went out in one of my parallel strings and the fuses shortly followed to protect the other LEDS in those strings. Needless to say...changing some fuses and troubleshooting that LED today.
Hey Mark, what's your LED set up? Fuses? Aren't you using constant current drivers? Hope you get it sorted out. LMK if you need assistance, I've got some electrical know how.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Gold Member

Hey Mike, thanks for the offer of help...I might take you up on that sometime. If you take a look early in my build...this DIY light uses some big drivers and I chose to do parallel strings so resistors and fuses were needed...and they worked well...I hope. Didn't end up fixing the light yet...there are still more than enough lights there to cook whatever is in the tank so I've delayed till the weekend.