Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 AM

jon.smolders is on a distinguished road

Got out of town to pick up a 20g long for my new sump, a bucket of salt, and two 20g Brute containers. Also picked up some Chaeto (thanks Hal!) which I'm going to keep in a bucket until I start my tank up. Figured I'd throw it in the sump once I've started the cycle and it might help introduce bacteria into the system and/or prevent keep some of the unwanted algae off my rock.

Started on my stand for my mixing station too. Got the basics done, and first coat of primer.

I might add a shelf or something to it as well. Not sure yet. I'm playing with some designs and might even set up a remote refugium on there as well. I would like to find some marine enamel or something similar to paint it with. That's what I painted the inside of my tank stand with and I love the durable, glossy, waterproof finish it gave. Have to track some down though...

"Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die."
(Jonathan Edwards, 1722)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Do you get any side to side movement when there is weight on that stand?

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Do you get any side to side movement when there is weight on that stand?
Not anymore!

Actually it was pretty sturdy before, but's definitely solid now. I would have doubled up the back legs too, but I ran out of 2x4's.

(Jonathan Edwards, 1722)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I really like the dimensions of this tank! Looks great!

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Updates:

- Ordered and received 45lbs of dry rock (pukani and tonga shelf). I didn't use it all.
- Aquascaped using fiberglass driveway markers, and almost completed the PVC pipe/eggcrate stands for the rock.
- Bought a dual inline TDS meter... after over a year in storage my RO membrane is still good and producing 0ppm water!
- Picked up a bunch of plumbing for my ATO / water mixing station and the return for the fuge (did I mention I've decided to do a remote fuge?). I haven't done any plumbing yet though.
- Bought glass baffles for sump, still need to silicone them in (hopefully today).

Cycle and Sand Issues:

I want to start cycling as soon as possible. I have been waiting until I get the aquascaping done with all the pvc supports and everything so that I don't have to start moving the rock around once it gets wet. HOWEVER, I also would like to get the sand in before I fill up the tank too. The problem is that I can't find anywhere that sells aragonite sand. I found a bag of crushed shells/coral, but I was hoping to go finer then that. I even asked the local store if they could order some in but apparently they can't. They told me to check online, which would cost about $50 for a 30lb bag to ship.

So, I have decided to try my old sand, and hope that it isn't full of phosphates. Right now its dry and it smells clean, and really its not that "old" considering the amount of time I had my last system set up. I am going to try to give it a short vinegar bath (providing it doesn't completely dissolve), rinse in RO, and then throw it in the tank with my fingers crossed. Figured I could always remove it if I'm having algae issues.

I'm thinking I will fill the tank (with rock and sand) with RO and let that soak for a week or so (changing water if necessary), then refill it with salt water next week and begin cycling with Microbacter7. Not sure if I need a shrimp in there or not... I heard that pukani is full of enough organics anyway.

I'll post some pictures soon...

(Jonathan Edwards, 1722)
Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM

pgtanks is on a distinguished road

rinse it out really good, i mean really good. do a small amount at time using a 5 gallon pail
Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 PM

ReEf BoSs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
As for s cheaper efficient skimmer, you might want to look into a bubble magus. Maybe a curve 5 or 7. They are good, cheap, efficient skimmers. I have had 2 curve 7's, and they worked great.

As for the fuge, I see a couple options without having to modify too much:

You could add a glass or acrylic baffle on one side of the sump and connect it with your return pump to make the fuge. Simple and affordable. Just a piece of glass or acrylic and some silicone.

You could purchase a hang on fuge like a CPR. Or even modify an aquaclear 100 into a hang on fuge. If you look up "aquaclear fuge mod" you'll see a bunch. I have used many of these and they work fantastic.

Or you could stick with your current design, and use a 2.5 or 5 gallon smaller tank and place it within the sump. Then feed it with a pump or from your overflow. It would simply overflow back into the sump. Might look a little better than a bucket, and hold more volume due to the square shape.

Tagging along to see your progress!
I agree i have a curve 5, they are worth the money.love the smaller foot print too.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReEf BoSs View Post
I agree i have a curve 5, they are worth the money.love the smaller foot print too.
Yeah, I think I'm leaning more towards the curve 5 now... especially now that the Vertex Omega 130 has jumped in price by $30. Somehow in my mind that extra bit pushed it into the "expensive, high end skimmer" category, lol. The $160 difference could be my first few fish or frags too!

But yeah, after reading some reviews, the curve 5 looks like the way to go. How do you find the noise level? What water depth do you run it at? I had my glass cut for my sump so that my skimmer section would have a water level of 8" so I hope that's not an issue. I have heard that some people run them lower than the recommended 9-11" water level.

(Jonathan Edwards, 1722)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Good work on the stand. Love it
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM

ReEf BoSs is on a distinguished road

I was looking at the Omega 130 also and settled on the curve 5. Noise level is great, i don't hear it over any of the other things. As far as i can tell it is silent.My water level is usually 8-9 ", i find at 9 " it does work better than at 8".So that might be an issue for you, im not sure what level other people on canreef are running it at. I did read online one guy had it in 7.5" of water.