Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-14-2010, 03:56 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
8 weeks? that's a bit extreme I did 6 weeks, hope it's enough.

When I raised the salinity, to help prevent any return of ich, I also treated with Paragard.
Well, it's not enough for that guarantee you really want! Why would you treat with ParaGuard after a hyposalinity treatment?

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:03 AM

Goxy is on a distinguished road

I had ich in my tank too, I think it came in with one of my tangs, anyway my vlamingi and regal tang both got it. My response was to buy a few more cleaner shrimp and use garlic. The regal tang would actually hang out by the shrimp and over a couple of weeks it disappeared. I don't like copper and thanks to the shrimp didn't have to try hyposalinity.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:35 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Just to make sure if there was any surviving kist, the larvaes would die if they ever got out of it while I was raising the salinity, so that they would not attach to the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Well, it's not enough for that guarantee you really want! Why would you treat with ParaGuard after a hyposalinity treatment?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Just to make sure if there was any surviving kist, the larvaes would die if they ever got out of it while I was raising the salinity, so that they would not attach to the fish.
You could have avoided the chemical treatment simply by leaving them in hypo for a couple more weeks. Personally, the only chemical I use on any regularity is Praziquantel (wormer), and is more important than Ich treatment imo.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Well he's in the display for 2 days and no sign of ich yet. I don't know how long I should wait until I know for sure ich is gone? I could not do longer hypo treatment because I am returning to work and won't have time to monitor all this.

prazi might be more important one some fish but if a fish is dying of ich, prazi won't do any good.

Quote:
You could have avoided the chemical treatment simply by leaving them in hypo for a couple more weeks. Personally, the only chemical I use on any regularity is Praziquantel (wormer), and is more important than Ich treatment imo.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Well he's in the display for 2 days and no sign of ich yet. I don't know how long I should wait until I know for sure ich is gone? I could not do longer hypo treatment because I am returning to work and won't have time to monitor all this.

prazi might be more important one some fish but if a fish is dying of ich, prazi won't do any good.
I suppose you have to wait forever...? With fish like Hippos I really don't think you're ever totally safe unless it's a FOWLR and you hypo the whole tank, and never add another thing to the tank.

I have never had a saltwater fish die from Ich, but I have had several die from worms. I dissect all dead fish. Sometimes I can tell what happened, sometimes I can't. A kid's microscope comes in handy.

EDIT: I don't think you actually said what kind of fish you were quarantining...?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-15-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 PM

Same as in this threat, the little ich magnet hippo tang and one clown fish.

The hippo has great appetite and I am feeding him garlic soaked food right now. He's been in the DT for 3 days and no ich. I guess if he's still ok in about a week I can assume he'll be ok unless I introduce something bad.

You never had a fish died from ich but I have read of many fish dying from this parasite. It can be quite serious sometimes.

Quote:
EDIT: I don't think you actually said what kind of fish you were quarantining...?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 PM

Well, hopefully it works for you.

SPS fanatic.