Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 02-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hairy Mushroom IS a Rhodactis...

That is definitely what you have there.

Last edited by gobytron; 02-06-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:26 PM

Riptide is on a distinguished road

Goby if he brings them up a bit higher in the tank they should color up a bit more correct? They look pretty big almost like they are "searching" for light. Perhaps im wrong?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Like most mushrooms, they don;t require a tonne of light.

Without knowing the depth or what kind of lighting he is running, it's impossible to say.

The look like they are coloring up nicely to me and quite happy.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:30 AM

Alberta_madcow is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses everyone. Water depth is 8" light is a 10 watt dual spectrum cfl for saltwater got it at big Al's. I know it's not the best light and will upgrade eventually.also found two tiny snails and what I think is a tiny mushroom

Last edited by Alberta_madcow; 08-17-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:12 PM

Yes its a mushroom . On the far left of the pic middle point looks like you might have some aptasia. I could be wrong kinda blurred. I used to stare at my tank in amazement of all the new crittersI would find almost every other day something new that I had missed the day before would pop up
Old 02-08-2015, 04:26 PM

Hi riptide, thanks for the reply! Yeah I have one giant aptasia and about 5 or 6 tiny ones. I plan on getting a peppermint shrimp once the cycle is complete. I'm finding new critters all the time and in such a tiny tank!!! Only 3 lbs of live rock, I went crazy with the sand and have way to much.. But I'm going to leave it and see how it goes...maybe get a tiny jaw fish or somthig more suited for a nano that still utilizes the deep sand...?¿ any thoughts of nano fish that love deep sand ?? Sorry if that's a dumb question I'm pretty new at this only have had one 10 gallong tank in the past and I knew nothing then,only to change the water that's what kept it alive so long.. I know a lot more now but still am a total noob !! thanks everyone any help you can give is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM

When it comes to nano's Im a total newb. I wouldnt honestly know what you could put in a small tank like that for livestock. Maybe poke around the nano forum looking at pic's? I have heard nano's are/can be more difficult to deal with as when stuff goes south it goes fast. I have always chosen a slightly larger tank just for that reason as it gives a little more forgiveness in regards to time.

I do think some higher end zoa's would look pretty sweet in there, keep your mushrooms although the hairy mushrooms can get pretty huge.

Last edited by Riptide; 02-10-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:20 PM

Ya 50% water changes every 2 days... It's been ok so far. Ph is perfect, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate still at about 10 ppm it should go down after tomorrows water change. Almost ready for a few critters! Everything that came on the live rock is still alive too!!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:38 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

I have a 5.5 running. 50% WC weekly. Right now I'm battling high phosphates. At 0.06 and getting lower. All I have in it is two clowns and a couple snails. Notice last night I have a brisle worm in there. No idea how it got there. The only live thing I put in was sand.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 PM

Oh weird.. Ya I've got a big bristle worm and a small one. That's kinda neat you got one tho. I've read nothing but good about them and how they actually help clean your tank.