Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-22-2002, 01:13 AM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish
Default Got the little bugger!!

Well, after a month of trying I finally caught the 1 1/2" mantis that has been terrorizing my tank!
I used a 1 liter Evian water bottle with the top part cut off and put in backwards held with hot glue.
A bit of silversides and krill in the trap and he went in. It took a month of on again,off again trying tho.

He is now residing in a 2 1/2 gallon hex tank till I can set up a more permanent home.

Whew! Glad to have that done! :D
Old 04-22-2002, 02:06 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow, how'd you end up with a mantis in your tank? In on some LR maybe? If so, where'd you get the LR from? (Just curious...)
Old 04-22-2002, 04:53 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Bruce, I hear you can feed them clown tangs!! They just love 'em!

Tony, the chance of getting a mantis in live rock is very good. I got two of mine from rock. Where the rock came from doesn't matter. I unpacked 5 boxes of rock at the LFS and found 4 mantis. Those were just the ones in the bottom of the box!! Always check carefully in any rock you buy.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:02 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Hi Reef_raf, thanks for the info .... but I was just kind of curious where THIS batch came from. Just curious, for no sake other than idle curiosity. Yeah, have heard lots of stories about mantis's over the years. I guess I've been lucky. I had lots of other hitchikers though... :D

[ 22 April 2002, 07:20: Message edited by: delphinus ]
Old 04-22-2002, 12:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Tony, I believe the rock Bruce got this guy in came from Marshal Islands via Seacare.org. Bruce can confirm/deny that. I also bought some of that rock and I have to say, it was the nicest colored rock I've bought. My first mantis came from Walt Smith rock and my second came from someone else's rock. I actually bought my third mantis. Great little guys!
Old 04-22-2002, 12:24 PM
Just a guy..

Bruce I have a 5g tank if you want to put him in there. It's by the side of my house if you want to grab it next time you're driving by. And it's free!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:26 PM

I've seen 'em for sale sometimes ... they sure do look pretty cool.... :D
Old 04-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided

The rock bruce found it in was Bali rock (I'm pretty sure) and I have found one in a peice of Bali rock as well.. It is beautiful rock, but seems to be mantis insfested!
Old 04-22-2002, 10:11 PM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish

Dooh! Just bought a 5 1/2 gallon today for the little sucker! Thanks for the offer tho Brad :D

Tony, I am 99% sure that I got this one in on a piece of Bali live rock (like Adam said) from a large chain-type aquatics store on the lower mainland. ;) I got the LR quite a while ago, maybe 6 months or more, and that clicking sound I always heard made me wonder if I had a mantis. I was hoping it was a pistol shrimp, but then I saw it draging the carcass of it's latest kill into the rocks where it lived and I knew! :mad:

This guy has killed at least three fish that I am pretty sure of, along with uncounted snails and an emerald crab or two.

Anyways, the mantis is in his new home, peeking out from the $40 of live rock :eek: that I got in there.

I'm gonna fatten him up and see how it grows, or if it changes colors at all.

Cool! A little nano-mantis reef! :cool: