Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road
Default Equine Recurring Uveitis

Hi there,

Any horse owners here ever dealt with this before? One of mine was diagnosed with this last week and I'm trying to decide what to do. One eye is 100% gone and the other is less than 50 now. I know that you can only stall it's progress, but my vet is recommending an implant that goes into his remaining eye and is sort of a slow release medication that's supposed to buy him another couple of years. Has anyone seen or experienced first hand any results from this?

I'm trying to decide whether or not the risk and pain of the surgery is worth it, or if I should just say goodbye to my friend sooner.

Any insight anyone could provide would be tremendously appreciated

Thank You
Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Pazil is on a distinguished road

I am no help here but wanted to say sorry to hear .... Its always tough make a decision like this one. Sometimes it is less painful to say goodbye sooner rather than watch a friend slowly decline and end up in the same position later. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

tough call, but I know whan I was growing up if it could be cured do it, if it couldn't. time to say good buy.. it is hard but if you can only buy a couple more years you have to look at the other side, what kinda life is that horse going to have with a couple more years when one eye is goon already and the other is at 50% now?

I have had to put down a couple of horses, one of the toughest things I have had to do as they were mine.. but I felt it was the better of the two options, as I didn't want them suffering of living a lower quality of life.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Will having no eyesight cause his death, I am confused or is it a virus that will kill him in
the end. Could he not learn to adapt to the no eyesight? I could think he could still have
a chance or am I wrong????
Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Im so sorry this is happening to your horse.

I too have had to put a horse down in the past and it is not an easy decision.

I guess first of all, do you have proper housing for a blind horse? Even the most docile loving horse can become panicked, especially a newly blind horse.

I did a quick google this morning, and from what I read it is very painful to the animal, and gets worse each time the eye gets inflamed. Has the blind eye been removed?

You have my sympathy.. I really know what a tough decision you have to make. I know which one I would make, but I have no emotional involvement and dont know the animal.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:54 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

I've never dealt with it before, so don't have any advice I could offer. I knew a guy once who's horse had it, but it only took the one eye. They had the vet medicate the horse. It can still be ridden, but is a bit shy on that side due to the impaired vision. There is a great horse vet over by antler hill on the QE2 (south of RD) if that helps at all... In the meantime consider buying a guardian type fly mask to keep the sun and bugs out of his/her eyes. Here are some links I found.

http://www.igs.net/~vkirkwoodhp/eru.htm
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/30300.htm

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ess-79973.html
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ml#post1035450

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=263170

Last edited by sharuq1; 06-29-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Will having no eyesight cause his death, I am confused or is it a virus that will kill him in
the end. Could he not learn to adapt to the no eyesight? I could think he could still have
a chance or am I wrong????
The disease is an auto-immune system disorder, basically his immune system has targeted something in his eyes and is attacking them. What happens is his iris fuses to the lense so the eye is completely closed, the medications that are available suppress the agent that the immune system is attacking and therefore suppress the inflamation. Since it's not a virus or bacteria there is no cure, just postponement.

As far as life as a blind animal goes, I am afraid it is out of the question. It's not like having a blind dog who stays in the house and is led around all the time in safety. From what I have read, he would have to be isolated from other horses as he would constantly be pushed away from feed and water, or run the risk of being chased into a fence or tree that he didn't see, as he got kicked to the bottom of the peking order, he would have to stay in a smaller paddock with special fencing and no risk of gopher holes to break his leg in. In short, everything horses love would be taken away from him. It would be an incredibly dark, lonely and unfulfilling existence. Some horses can go on to lead somewhat successful lives as school animals but Murphy has been my roping/cutting/ranching horse for most of his 11 years and is way, way too hot tempered for kids. I am also curious about whether the pain continues even after the eye goes blind, I would imagine it does.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

From what I read yes the pain continues even after the sight is gone, which is why the eyeball is usually removed and the eyelid sewed shut.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 PM
silver lining herbs

Sorry, I have just been informed that my reply was "commercial in nature" and not permitted, only trying to help your horse. Better than him suffering.