Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Yah you have suggested that in a earlier post and I have my eyes set for quad fixture. But I am really worried about the upkeep of changing 4 bulbs ($80).
Put aside $2.50 a week and after 10 months, you have your bulbs. It's not a lot. I know the latest greatest is LED, but you're going to have to spend money you don't have, and it's not necessarily the right light for what you want.
A nice T5 fixture will look nice vs a DIY LED unless you can build a nice housing, which is more time and money. Wait until you're done school and have some disposable income, then buy the fancy stuff. But IMO, T5 will give you nicer colors (once you figure out the right combo, which many here can recommend)
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
here you go merry christmas , more than enough light and at 60 bucks you cant go wrong

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91373
Oh yes I saw that but that thing is not going to cover my whole tank. Their specs says that they cover around 24" max.

And for this model, I have seen reviews that the clamp is really really weak for the weight of the thing.

Another prob is I won't be able to fit the clamp (my back is practically covered with HOBs and float switch)

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Put aside $2.50 a week and after 10 months, you have your bulbs. It's not a lot. I know the latest greatest is LED, but you're going to have to spend money you don't have, and it's not necessarily the right light for what you want.
A nice T5 fixture will look nice vs a DIY LED unless you can build a nice housing, which is more time and money. Wait until you're done school and have some disposable income, then buy the fancy stuff. But IMO, T5 will give you nicer colors (once you figure out the right combo, which many here can recommend)
Once I get a quad fixture, I will have a T5 light piggy bank

Yah I have given up on LEDs after finding out I have a BIG BIG misconception about the DIY costs :P

I will just keep my eyes open for T5s and hoping for a quad fixture instead of putting two dual fixtures; will save space

BTW Denny the PM! I am waiting on your suggestion about new addition

Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

plenty of light for what you have trust me , you only got a 20long dont you??

as for suggestions i mean every fish i can possibly think of hunt those things.... even clowns , best bet is to cut down on feeding , youll never eliminate them all ever i guarantee it....its just not possible......ever lol
Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM

Yah I do agree its plenty of light. Infact, I am worried about my mushrooms and zoas getting baked from that light since its 12" deep only. And yah its 20long. Thats gonna create shades at the corners isinit?

I just want more fishy! The pod hunting was just a thought. Chromis? A red star? I want more fishies!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 AM
R.I.P.

no they wont get baked in fact they will love the extra light, trick is too go slow so move them low and rise them when they are adapted.

i was running a 250w on my 25g cube so i think youll be fine, i also ran a 250w on my 33g zoa tank and a 250w on my 20g long like yours......all these tanks loved the light .

as for fish perhaps a blenny or a goby woud do depends on what you like really, keeping in mind you only have 20g
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 AM
R.I.P.

as for shadowing in the corners , by looking at your sig you dont have enough light demanding coral to be worried about shadowing just move the coral into the light , just because the light isnt as strong near the ends of your tank doesnt mean its barren waste land , alot of stuff grows in lower lights even sps.

hehe i find the dark sides of my tank the most interesting , i use nps corals to fill up those places and they have more color then anything in my tank.

it is what you make it man
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
no they wont get baked in fact they will love the extra light, trick is too go slow so move them low and rise them when they are adapted.

i was running a 250w on my 25g cube so i think youll be fine, i also ran a 250w on my 33g zoa tank and a 250w on my 20g long like yours......all these tanks loved the light .

as for fish perhaps a blenny or a goby woud do depends on what you like really, keeping in mind you only have 20g
Ok then what to do with all the Hobs I have. It has taken up all the space in my back. Infact the AC110 wont let me position the clamp at the middle.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
as for shadowing in the corners , by looking at your sig you dont have enough light demanding coral to be worried about shadowing just move the coral into the light , just because the light isnt as strong near the ends of your tank doesnt mean its barren waste land , alot of stuff grows in lower lights even sps.

hehe i find the dark sides of my tank the most interesting , i use nps corals to fill up those places and they have more color then anything in my tank.

it is what you make it man
I guess I should start getting nps then

Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Ok then what to do with all the Hobs I have. It has taken up all the space in my back. Infact the AC110 wont let me position the clamp at the middle.

be creative theres no such thing as cant , and in this hobby its all about making things work , im sure if you really sat down and gave it some good thought you could figure something out

ive had lights on strings,boards,ceilings,gravity ,pins,tape and gum......youll do just fine :P