Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default MH flickering, any ideas?

My lights have begun to flicker recently and I don't know why. It kind of dims and looks bluer when it does this. It does it quickly like a flicker but has also stayed dim for some time on occasion. It usually does this once the balast has warmed up. I'm running an XM 20K 400 watt SE, on a Galaxy balast. It's also on a digital timer, that I've had for several years. Any thoughts from you lighting guru's out there?

Thanks,

Danny
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Is the ballast electronic or or transformer style? How old is the lamp (approx. runtime hours)?

I don't really have any ideas here but figure it couldn't hurt to know those two details (sorry, I'm not familiar with the Galaxy, I assume that is electronic?)
Old 12-22-2009, 08:29 PM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road

I would say it's the bulb, but I've seen these ballasts burn out before. I would try changing the bulb first, then I would try changing the ballast. Good Luck!

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Default reply

Ya, forgot to mention that. It is an electronic balast. The bulb has only been up and running for about 6 months at 8-10 hours per day.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:53 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

My ice cap did this and then I switched the bulb and did the same thing. I think my ballast was shot. Changed the ballast and it was good to go. Sucks I know.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Default reply

I'm in the process of testing it with a different bulb. Thats the less expensive route. Hopefully I only need to replace a bulb and not the balast.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Default reply

If it is the balast after all, does anyone know if they are repairable? I've had the old magnetic ones fixed at the local grow supplies shops, but I'm not sure if they will fix the electronic variety.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Something you'll have to ask the manufacturer. It likely won't be repairable by any local tech. If the circuitry is encased in epoxy (some electronic ballasts are) it won't be serviceable at all.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road

You will have a hard time finding anyone to fix the ballast. If you were to open it up and look inside, you will see that everything is coated in a thick layer of black rubberized something-or-other. It's probably more cost effective to buy a new one. Sorry man, wish I had some good news

J+L has a good deal on them usually, Good luck!

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 PM

That's one thing about the electronic ballasts I don't like. I think only Icecap as far as I know, makes it so that their product is serviceable. Any others with this epoxy coating idea and you're S.O.L. Had it happen to me, spent $250 on a ballast, got 5 minutes of use on it until a short in the reflector wiring caused one of the lamp leads to ground out. Says right on the ballast "DO NOT CONTACT LAMP LEADS TO GROUND". All I could do in the end was throw it out. I'm still bitter over that one. I steer well away from electronic ballasts, the five cents per month savings you might get on your power bill will have to take a long time to recover the premium you pay for buying electronic in the first place and it will never reach the point where it pays for a lost ballast like that case. At least in your case it is still working .. kind of .. so find another lamp and see if the problem goes away. My money is that it's the lamp and not the ballast in this case.