Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-08-2009, 03:33 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default ID Black dots on yellow tang?

Just noticed today that my yellow tang has developed black dots on it. They are very small, the size of ick. Is this a different type of ick? SO far the fish is fine, still eating and not scratching. Does anyone know what this is? I find it curious that this is the first sign of an illness in my tank in years, and that it has only occured since I lost my cleaner shrimp last week.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-08-2009, 03:42 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
Just noticed today that my yellow tang has developed black dots on it. They are very small, the size of ick. Is this a different type of ick? SO far the fish is fine, still eating and not scratching. Does anyone know what this is? I find it curious that this is the first sign of an illness in my tank in years, and that it has only occured since I lost my cleaner shrimp last week.

Sounds like Black Spot Disease. Quite common on Tangs.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:02 AM

Default reply

Thanks. I just looked it up and found a pic confirming it is black spot or black ick. It says the treatment is the same as other forms of ick. Bummer. Well, hopefully my new cleaner shrimp get here safely. Perhaps they will aid in this fight.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

It is a fairly simple fix.
Remove the tang and give her a fresh water dip until you see the black spots go away. The black spots are actually worms not a parasite like ich.
Make sure that the ph and the temperature is the same as you main tank.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 AM

Default reply

How long do you dip the fish for each time?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:26 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

4 minutes ought to do it.

It's a flatworm so one treatment is usually enough to get them to literally fall off. In really bad cases maybe two treatments a day or two apart.

FWIW, and maybe this is bad of me, I don't know, but when I was advised what to do, I was told "don't bother matching pH, just use tap water, but DO match the temperature") and the tang was fine and I never had to do it again. (Which is probably good because I can usually catch a fish once, and ever after that they're onto me and I can't get near them with a net.) I'm not sure what you'd have to use if you wanted to match pH. If you could match pH I'm sure it would be easier on the fish.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

You are right with the black worm procedure. Adjusting the ph is not necessary
If you are looking at a sick or dying fish everything that can lessen the stress is important though.
You can buy a small bottle of ph-up or ph down at the lfs
Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

I had a yellow tang with black spot and I took him out and gave him a fresh water dip and put him in a 10 gal tank for about a week, if I remember correctly. And returned him to the main tank and never saw it again on him.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:42 PM

Default reply

It's no big deal to adjust the ph. I just don't want to leave the fish in too long. Thanks for everyone's input, I'll let you know how things turn out.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

They'll be fine for much longer than 4 minutes, but 4 minutes was what I found to be adequate for complete removal of the flatworms.