Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
I get all my peaceful community fish from Canada...
You slay me man.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
I get all my peaceful community fish from Canada...
Old 12-16-2008, 03:07 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Oregon tort comes to mind.

To be honest though .. so much of this stuff is hype. I've been to so many LFS's in the U.S. that just don't measure up to your expectations of what you see advertised online. A lot of this stuff is just the same corals, and a fancy name put on it. "Marketing." .. Grow stuff well and it's all comparable.

I hear you about the Oregon tort, I've got everyone and their dog looking for a nice colony of it for me, if it ever does show up and grows I'll drop you a line (if you ever find one and it grows on you keep me in mind)
Old 12-16-2008, 03:08 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

Hey Tony you just have to look harder for certain corals. I got my piece of oregon tort off a well known SPS guy in town who shut down his system. I do beleive there are coral sellers that will send corals across the border at your risk. I myself have never tried but know of people who have including the person I got my tort off of.

Heres a shot for you Tony. Just waiting for it to start to branch.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:22 AM

LeeR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LeeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
mini carpet anemones...

good call
Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Hmmm, I'm not sure you understand me. Sorry I wasn't clear. Oregon tort is just one that comes to mind as something that's easier to find in the U.S. than in Canada but that's not to say you can't find it up here at all. Mainly my point is if you look at a typical LFS in the U.S. it's not necessarily any better than the LFS's we have up in Canada. And I don't mean it negatively: I mean we have some really good topnotch suppliers up here. And I mean it. I've seen some seriously nice corals come through in the last few yearss, maybe just without the hype of marketing to attach labels like "Limited Edition" this or that.

Just as an example, at the moment I'm in the U.S. right now on a work related site trip in one of the largest urban centres and you would think it be LFS heaven.. but it is far from it. What I have at home in Calgary is far superior. Prices are better up north too.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Tony. We just need to know what we are looking for. You wait long enough you will see it in your lfs just not with the fancy names. We also can't get the ORA corals like the states . But would you really want to pay the prices they ask for them not to mention the waiting list that is on some of the rare ones.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Hmmm, I'm not sure you understand me. Sorry I wasn't clear. Oregon tort is just one that comes to mind as something that's easier to find in the U.S. than in Canada but that's not to say you can't find it up here at all. Mainly my point is if you look at a typical LFS in the U.S. it's not necessarily any better than the LFS's we have up in Canada. And I don't mean it negatively: I mean we have some really good topnotch suppliers up here. And I mean it. I've seen some seriously nice corals come through in the last few yearss, maybe just without the hype of marketing to attach labels like "Limited Edition" this or that.

Just as an example, at the moment I'm in the U.S. right now on a work related site trip in one of the largest urban centres and you would think it be LFS heaven.. but it is far from it. What I have at home in Calgary is far superior. Prices are better up north too.
Ooh where are you....I KNOW people....do you need a car?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

(Houston.) I did find some good deals down here on used equipment in the past (a skimmer for example) but a lot of the livestock that I've seen is really the same as what we get. The only thing is that there is more of it because the market is larger. I guess ten times the population has to work to their advantage somehow. But at least we get some nice things nowadays north of the border too.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:26 AM

BTW Chowder that piece is SWEET.