Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-08-2008, 12:26 AM

scub steve is on a distinguished road

the tank is 31 tall and 30 around
Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 AM

Telford is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
That's a cool looking tank.... What are the stocking "rules" for a cylander... You can put a tang in a 90-100G tank (4-5 foot).. but I'm guessing that "rule" kinda goes out the window with a cylinder eh?

Look forward to this tank!
I have a 80g cylinder tank. The dimensions on mine are 28" diameter and 28" tall. I have tangs in mine. In a way it might be better than a standard tank because they can swim around and around in circles and never have to turn around!!

Removing algae from the glass is a bit of a pain in the *ss. You have to keep up with it. If you get lazy and leave it a few days+ then you're in there up to your armpit with a scrubber.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

looks good ^

I like your 90 g cylinder and could picture it set up pretty nice with corals going 360 deg. kinda like a christmas tree structure, I say go reef for sure and maybe use acrilic rods and putty to build a structure around the overflow also you could drill holes in the lr before putting in so that when you buy corals on plugs or lr you can stick them in the holes works great for me!!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 11-08-2008, 03:03 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telford View Post
Removing algae from the glass is a bit of a pain in the *ss. You have to keep up with it. If you get lazy and leave it a few days+ then you're in there up to your armpit with a scrubber.
I wonder if you could mod a hammerhead algae magnet to have a curvature to match the curvature of the cylinder tank.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
I wonder if you could mod a hammerhead algae magnet to have a curvature to match the curvature of the cylinder tank.
I use a regular hammerhead currently. It undoubtedly doesn't work as well as it would on a flat surface but the curvature isn't so tight that it prevents it from doing the trick.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:13 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

Nice tank you could take a piece of UHMW and shape it then bond the magnets that would give you what you need to take care of the algae.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:23 AM

i just have a regular magnet and it works good for me but this tank is a real pain if you do have to get too the bottom its really deep
Old 11-08-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telford View Post
I use a regular hammerhead currently. It undoubtedly doesn't work as well as it would on a flat surface but the curvature isn't so tight that it prevents it from doing the trick.
is your tank acrylic or is it glass?? mine is glass so im not too worried about scratching it
Old 11-08-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scub steve View Post
is your tank acrylic or is it glass?? mine is glass so im not too worried about scratching it
Acrylic. Scratching is definitely an issue, especially close to the sand bottom.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:11 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scub steve View Post
i just have a regular magnet and it works good for me but this tank is a real pain if you do have to get too the bottom its really deep
I forget the brand name, but I have one of those long handled cleaning kits you find at most any LFS. It comes with various attachments including a metal scraper, sand claw and a scrubbing pad that has a nice curvature and a swivel head. Only downside is I broke the original handle cleaning my skimmer body. Seems the handle is made of a thin metal tube sealed in plastic. A little too much pressure sideways and 'kink' that was it. I was set to chuck the thing in the trash but was hesitant since I found the attachment so useful. The kits aren't that costly, but I didn't want to buy another since the handle is so crappy. Anyhow, I decided to repair it by cutting off the broken handle and replacing it with wood. Bought a nice long piece of dowel at the home improvement store and epoxied it into the hole I cleaned out on the plastic piece which accepts the cleaning attachments. Made the handle longer than the original, a coat of varnish, now I have a real fancy long handled cleaning thingy...

Anyhow, the curved cleaning pad may be useful to you if you're willing to chance the handle breakage issue. I'm thinking the ones with the longer handles would be worse since the diameter is the same as the shorter ones and it would take less force to kink them if you're trying to scrub a little harder.