Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2016, 11:55 PM
squibege squibege is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 62
squibege is on a distinguished road
Default Killer underwater spider or ...?

Okay what the heck is this? This is the only live rock that has this- got it out of a fellow reefers tank. A scarlet hermit crab that was in the tank for 2-3 days crawled into the nook and now I'm pretty sir he is no more (hasn't moved a bit in the last 3days) When I blasted him with a turkey baster last night I wasn't sure if he moved a leg on his own or if it was just a power head. Also seems paler than the others.

Any ideas what could be living in there? Do I need to get this rock out of my tank?


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2016, 01:24 AM
mrhasan's Avatar
mrhasan mrhasan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,893
mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default

Probably vermatide snail.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

See figure 5 in the above link.
__________________

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2016, 02:35 AM
soapy's Avatar
soapy soapy is offline
Nano Bubble Lover
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 400
soapy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Probably vermatide snail.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

See figure 5 in the above link.
I was thinking the same thing. If it was my rock I would pull it out and grind off any vermitids before putting it back. Also you can use a turkey baster to stir up detritus then any vermitids will let out a slime rope alerting you to their location so you can hammer those too. All supposing it is in fact vermitids.

Last edited by soapy; 02-26-2016 at 02:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Myka's Avatar
Myka Myka is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Saskatoon, SK.
Posts: 11,268
Myka will become famous soon enough
Default

Looks like Vermetid web to me
__________________
~ Mindy

SPS fanatic.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2016, 04:34 PM
gobytron gobytron is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1,424
gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapy View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If it was my rock I would pull it out and grind off any vermitids before putting it back. Also you can use a turkey baster to stir up detritus then any vermitids will let out a slime rope alerting you to their location so you can hammer those too. All supposing it is in fact vermitids.
I use frag glue to cover them up.

Gotta cover top and bottom though otherwise they just turn up again later.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2016, 02:31 AM
squibege squibege is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 62
squibege is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the replies!!
Cover them with glue as in cover the rock with glue? Are they really stuck in there enough to need to grind them?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2016, 05:08 AM
soapy's Avatar
soapy soapy is offline
Nano Bubble Lover
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 400
soapy is on a distinguished road
Default

Grind them as in break up their calcareous shell so that they die. I use a screw driver or a pair of wire snippers or a spade bit drill bit. By glueing I think most people mean they just inject a spot of crazy glue into the end of the vermatids tube.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2016, 03:20 PM
gobytron gobytron is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1,424
gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibege View Post
Thanks for the replies!!
Cover them with glue as in cover the rock with glue? Are they really stuck in there enough to need to grind them?
If you follow their "web" you will find the snails tube.

Cover the entire tube, top to bottom.

You can try just covering the top, but then they often reappear a few days later.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2016, 03:22 PM
gobytron gobytron is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1,424
gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapy View Post
Grind them as in break up their calcareous shell so that they die. I use a screw driver or a pair of wire snippers or a spade bit drill bit. By glueing I think most people mean they just inject a spot of crazy glue into the end of the vermatids tube.
That would work, possibly even better.

I use frag glue though, the stuff you use to affix frags to your rock work.

I've also had success with Kalk paste.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2016, 03:43 PM
soapy's Avatar
soapy soapy is offline
Nano Bubble Lover
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 400
soapy is on a distinguished road
Default

Shoot I didn't know you had to glue the whole thing to stop em. Little buggers!

Always fun when they come up through the middle of a coral or the coral grows around them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.