Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Can we start a pool for when it will be shutdown? Or is it too soon to make jokes like that?

Er, I mean, nice new tank, and stuff! Enjoy the ride..

(PS. I call June/July BTW ........ (too soon?) )
Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Thx guys. I can do stands with my eyes closed. If you saw some of the joints and how much wood filler they ate you might think I *do* build them that way!

Tony it's never too soon additionally, shut the frag up lol. My back is on fire. Spent all day cutting rocks for the back wall %#*^!

Last edited by lastlight; 02-25-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Before I mounted my rock background I attached these anchors underneath my overflow box. These will stabilize the rock work which is going to cantilever out a fair bit I think. They're large enough to fish a few long zip ties through them. An additional anchor will likely be place at the foot of the rock tower to keep the bottom from sliding around.

Cory (i have crabs) was generous enough to lend me his chop saw with masonry blade. I spent a few hours frolicking about in a white cloud of pulverized reef rock on my front steps. The method I used to attach the rocks was silicone-putty-silicone. I have tried prying off one of the pieces and can't even wiggle it. Now that I have the tank flipped off it's back I can go in and identify which gaps can be seen at normal viewing angles and fill them in better.

Bonus points to anyone that can tell me where my mp10s are going to go =)

A little bit of insurance until I have sand in.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Your level of patience and persistence never ceases to amaze me. That looks like a jig saw puzzle from hell which you nailed by the way.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

^what Fabio said.

Seriosuly, I'm not typically a fan of rock walls but you actually made it look really good. It suits that tank's dimensions.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Bonus points to anyone that can tell me where my mp10s are going to go =)
They are mounting to the bottom of the tank pointing upwards right??? I heard it was going to be a sandstorm tank

Those 2 eye holes on the rock wall will be great for viewing the tank from the back.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

I too wish to say it looks great can't wait to see it all covered. I do want to caution to tho cleaning wise the corners will be hard to scrape the junk out with the rock close to it I made that mistake on my 50. Just want you to keep that in mind... Following as always

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys.

I purposely used my thinnest pieces near the edge to minimize the work involved with cleaning the glass. I've actually come to prefer using a blade completely hand-held and just zipping across each pane so getting to these won't be bad at all.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Those 2 eye holes on the rock wall will be great for viewing the tank from the back.
Whenever I need a good laugh, I usually don't have to look much farther than your thread Brett

That rock wall looks pretty slick and will only look better once it starts to get covered with coralline alage. FYI a recipricating saw with a metal blade also works great for mutilating up live rock but I'm guessing you wanted the flattest cut possible for your intended purpose.

I'm a bit confused by the means in which you stuck the rock to the glass.

Silicone - putty - silicone isn't quite as self explanatory as it would seem....

Did you putty the center of the rocks and then put a bead of silicone around the putty? That's what it kinda looks like in the pics but all I can really see is the putty.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

We need a Canreef TOTmM (Tank of the multiple moments) for your amalgamation of tanks .

Can't wait to see this thing filled, do you know the glass thickness on that puppy? I did a quick online search but couldn't source it for the 93, if its 3/8" your good to go but ifs its 1/2" your MP10s won't work.