Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefnewbie View Post
I've got a 160 gallon fresh water and wanted a challenge..its not the contest its the tanks performance and goin down so fast...ive got passion for aquariums but saltwater is wayy harder then I ever belived..ive got some thinking too do now I guess...stay with fresh or expand
I have been in freshwater for more than 10 years and you can't make me believe that freshwater is easier. I would vote saltwater is easier (I can give you 100s of reasons). It's just a bit more expensive and takes a little more dedication
Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 AM

nanoreefnewbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt2Death View Post
Here Here, "Nothing Good Happens In A Salt Water Tank Fast, Just Bad Happens Fast!"

Pull out, sit back and just take it nice n slow. Ask lots of question, (even if people like to be *#%} heads on here most will help you lots) and relax- Your build is doing great so far. Just stick with it and all will pay off.
(Hint... Don't throw money at problems, get advice and ask for help there are lots of people here that will help and may have just what you need! We all started out right where you are)

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...
I've been throwing cash at livestock and diy projects that fall apart ...i have asked and I get alot of mixed opions I'm getting pulled in every direction with opions and this is wrong this is right ect....
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 AM

coolhandgoose is on a distinguished road

Trust me that will never change, when you post for help on here be prepared for several answers. I always take in the answers then choose a conservative course of action.

I agree with everyone on the slowing down part. I read the last few pages of your tank journal and totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes taking a sample of water to your LFS helps and you can pick their brain in person as to what is happening. The reputable ones won't sell you anything until you're ready.

Nano tanks can be great fun and beautiful, but I find that problems amplify quickly if you make a mistake, bigger tanks can take a few punches if you know what I mean.

Don't give up yet!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I just read through the last couple pages of your build thread. You started your tank in September right? And struggling with nitrates? And have livestock? My thoughts.....you started with mostly base rock and a couple lbs of lr. Your tank needs more time or needed more time to cycle. Your base rock can take months to become live rock therefore its filtering capabilities are next to none. Youve got 2 lbs of live rock that likely can not handle the small bioload you have. You've been doing a lot of water changes. Honestly, just stop. Let your tank settle. I dont know anything about nano tanks but I think you have just been going too fast. I can see why you are frustrated. You can have the system you want, just leave it, even for a week.

You will get loads of answers to your questions but everyone is just trying to help. Use what makes the most sense for you and if it doesn't work, then try something else. Sometimes a suggestion can mean waiting a week or 2 or a month to see results. It takes time for things to correct in our tanks.

The best thing is to keep going bec it does pay off....eventually. The worst thing you can do is panick. There are such good people here that want to help no matter what, just find your sense of humor and have fun with your tank.

Sorry for the long post, but typing this for you is reminding me of where I was when I started and where I am today with this hobby.

Keep your head up!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I just read through the last couple pages of your build thread. You started your tank in September right? And struggling with nitrates? And have livestock? My thoughts.....you started with mostly base rock and a couple lbs of lr. Your tank needs more time or needed more time to cycle. Your base rock can take months to become live rock therefore its filtering capabilities are next to none. Youve got 2 lbs of live rock that likely can not handle the small bioload you have. You've been doing a lot of water changes. Honestly, just stop. Let your tank settle. I dont know anything about nano tanks but I think you have just been going too fast. I can see why you are frustrated. You can have the system you want, just leave it, even for a week.

You will get loads of answers to your questions but everyone is just trying to help. Use what makes the most sense for you and if it doesn't work, then try something else. Sometimes a suggestion can mean waiting a week or 2 or a month to see results. It takes time for things to correct in our tanks.

The best thing is to keep going bec it does pay off....eventually. The worst thing you can do is panick. There are such good people here that want to help no matter what, just find your sense of humor and have fun with your tank.

Sorry for the long post, but typing this for you is reminding me of where I was when I started and where I am today with this hobby.

Keep your head up!
We all have been in the same spot when we started our first tank.

Everyone over here is a well-wisher since here in the forum, there's nothing to loose! You can only gain knowledge.

So now stop panicking and listen to the common suggestion: don't sell the setup.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Stop take a breath have a wobbly pop sleep on it and move forward you may be just having a few spikes nano's can be difficult to dial in due to smaller water volume. I have faith in you ill read your thread and see if I can give you some help that's what we are here for . And as far as contest shmontest you can take your pace there may be a winner but never a loser with a cool tank in the end. And once you have the success you will feel so awesome you'll want to dance Nellie in the streets. Just be careful the tang police may arrest you

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandgoose View Post
Trust me that will never change, when you post for help on here be prepared for several answers. I always take in the answers then choose a conservative course of action.

I agree with everyone on the slowing down part. I read the last few pages of your tank journal and totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes taking a sample of water to your LFS helps and you can pick their brain in person as to what is happening. The reputable ones won't sell you anything until you're ready.

Nano tanks can be great fun and beautiful, but I find that problems amplify quickly if you make a mistake, bigger tanks can take a few punches if you know what I mean.

Don't give up yet!
I'm not gunna give up...
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefnewbie View Post
I'm not gunna give up...
That's the spirit
Old 10-23-2012, 02:52 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

honestly youll find in time with this hobby less is more....we are the prime reasons things go wrong .
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post

Keep your head up!
Okay thank you...ill be taking it very slow from now on ill stop water changes except the 10-15% wc once weekly...