Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

tie wraps to the drain even! i've had enough mishaps to spot the really important details... nicely done lol!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

Just following what the pros do

Anyways got the rest of the braided hose to go from the sink to the tank.

Turned on the water from the bottom most tank, so far no leaks from my crummy plumbing skills. And the water from the speed waves seems to be pumping through at a reasonable rate. Making up my first batch of salt water with the new system. Gonna add some supports to the plumbing.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM

So good and bad news today..... Found my blue spot dried up behind the tank, guess he found a small gap in my screen top. Wouldn't mind another at some point but I think I'm just gonna let the tank chill for awhile.

Got a lot of algae at the moment, I have a feeling the rock i got off a dude, is pretty high in phosphates. So I'm gonna try a box of bioclean, and eventually move onto bio pellets. On the upside, that much established live rock with no other apparent issues, is a good thing. I don't mind the phosphate battle over other bad things rock can have.

As for the good news, just finished my first water change with my system, everything worked out better then expected. Super fast draining and filling. And was the first water change I completed ever without spilled water. The full 30 gallons took about 10-15 mins..

The process was basically kill all power, let back flow. Empty sump the best I could, refill sump. Turn everything back on. Had a few gallons left of fresh mixed salt in the basement. But not enough that I feel like I wasted a bunch.

Siphon was easy to start as the line was filled with fresh water so I just kept closing the valve I have on the end of the hose. To move to each chamber. No siphon start required.

Super stoked to do water changes now . Just need to make some specialized attachments for the system. Like a strainer as what goes down, goes down. And I fear the day anything goes down that will plug the system. Valves with couplers would of been the better choice.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Aw man, that sucks about the jawfish. Sorry to hear.

What's Bioclean? I don't think I've heard of this stuff.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Aw man, that sucks about the jawfish. Sorry to hear.

What's Bioclean? I don't think I've heard of this stuff.
Just the prodibio system. Half box of this half box of that. Look at box crooked to try and follow directions...
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 PM

Just wanted to post some updates, as its been awhile, Since I posted last.

I lost pretty much every fish in my tank, 2 clowns-3 anthias, a blenny, a powder blue, a mandarin a cleaner shrimp over the coarse of a weekend a few months back. so the tank had been sitting with just the ruby head wrasse the canary wrasse and the leopard wrasse.

Im not sure if it was all the base rock decided to cycle, or if it was ich that irradicated the tank, as I cant remeber if the cleaner shrimp dissapeared that same weekend. Regardless. New purchases came to a stand still.

I had been fighting with my skimmer off and on for sometime, everytime the cup got half full it just randomly overflowed within a night. and finally have now gone a month or so without this happening. However the skimmate production isnt half of what it was, im not sure if this is a result of a lowered amount of crap in the tank. Eventually I may look into getting another skimmer but for now its doing the trick.

Finally got into clearing a bucketful of caulerpa racemosa from my tank, This will be my on going battle of this tank I guess. Picked up a few emeralds recently in hopes they may help with this. Regadrless they will help with the crew.

Picked up two new clowns and a sailfin, both seem to be doing excellent in the tank so far. and always happy for feeding time.

The best thing I have done with this tank was my water change system, I have never been this ontop of my changes, best money spent by a longshot. No more buckets - less spills - 10 minutes start to finish for a 30 gallon water change. LOVE IT...

Old 09-16-2013, 09:51 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

sorry to hear of your issues Things are looking good though. That maze brain looks awesome!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Did you get that Maze brain at Ocean City by any chance?

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Did you get that Maze brain at Ocean City by any chance?
negative, got it at golds before this adventure even started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
sorry to hear of your issues Things are looking good though. That maze brain looks awesome!

thanks not quite to your standard, but im sure ill get there in time
Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Quick update today.

Got a new toy. My ro system is in the basement. So I had to walk downstairs to turn on the pump to fill up my ro bucket. Or just leave the pump on and hope nothing ever happens to my gangster plumbing job.

Problem solved now I can just turn the pump on and off from anywhere with Internet theoretically I can fill up my ro while on vacation as well now.

Also grabbed a radiant wrasse a couple weeks ago, he's a pretty rad fish