Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-12-2009, 03:38 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road
Default scary

this kind of thing frightens me a great deal. I know it's American, but we all know this will severely affect us if it passes. Plus, if American government does it, you know Canada will follow suit shortly.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1616945

ps. take that RC, you can't delete this thread!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

I would be interested to know if farm raised fish would be exempt. Florida has MANY fresh water tropical fish farms that supplies much of the aquarium hobby. A bill like this might accelerate inland SW farming too which is always good.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:06 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

That is scary.

personally i think that it will not go through, because:

1.with the way the economy is going, getting rid of 100's of peoples jobs doesn't seem very intelligent

2.president Obama seems like quite the family man, and i think he wouldn't let family's allover America lose their pets.

3.there's just way too much money and way too many people in the pet trade to get rid of most of it.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:31 AM

jsmth321 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jsmth321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
I would be interested to know if farm raised fish would be exempt. Florida has MANY fresh water tropical fish farms that supplies much of the aquarium hobby. A bill like this might accelerate inland SW farming too which is always good.

As far as I know farm raised fish are not exempt, if passed it would virtually prevent all non-native fish from being kept.

The pet lobby is fighting it, but its gonna be down to which lobby is stronger.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 AM

TVR is on a distinguished road

Heard about but never actually seen the "actual" people / doccuments related.
Hope this mater wont come true
Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 AM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

they did this in bc a while ago, but pet lobby fought it and ended up winning alot of ground and it was changed so there was no blanket ban.
The only things banned were dangerous animals like crocidiles and tigers, poisonous animals were put on a restricted list and require a licence to own now.
At least this is what i was told on bcaquaria
Old 04-12-2009, 07:20 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
There's no exemption in this version of the bill for zoos never mind commercial breeding.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 PM

TVR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreerider View Post
The only things banned were dangerous animals like crocidiles and tigers, poisonous animals were put on a restricted list and require a licence to own now.
Talking about restricted. How about snake, the big snakes? - Back in the time at the country side, I've seen snake killed cows, pigs, chicken... (Not talking about poison here) - I've seen lately some of my friend raise some big snakes and having babe at the same time. big snakes love fresh meat and what would happen if he accidently got out of cage?
And many raise those scary small snake and even breeding them. And let kids play with the new born snakes.
May be I chicken, but that deffinitely look scary to me
Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

He, he, I don't think something like this has a hope. You'd have to include dogs, cats, the list goes on. They'd be killing a huge industry. All those eccentric actors/actresses would have to give up their puppies with the fashion hairdos and pink highlights in their fur. Maybe they should consider banning non indigenous humans too, especially the wacky ones that keep coming up with this stuff.

I get a real kick out of the average schmoe not being allowed to bring some agricultural products, like an apple say, across the border between BC & Washington. Could be some pest or disease in there. Yet tropical fruits like bananas, pineapples etc. come into virtually every northern/western country daily. Who knows what lurks inside those shipping containers, despite the toxic pesticides they use to supposedly render them safe from hitchhikers.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Next time you go to the supermarket watch to see when they unload bananas.......
they usually wear gloves, ever ask yourself why?
Somehow I doubt that this will be high on anyones priority list given the certain real
problems facing the U.S. at the moment. Oh and Canada.