Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

dabandit is on a distinguished road
Default Reef Keeping advice

So me and a couple of friends have been off due to weather. We've decided to put together a blog to help out people who are absolutelly green to saltwater keeping. I realise there are a million opinions for reef keeping and the goal is to show a standardised method for getting your foot in the door. We are showing what we know through experience to be the easiest method for getting started rather than flooding them with too much information,so dont expect an experts guide to advanced reef keeping. I figure in time they will figure out what works best for them. I would love to hear your opinions if you get a chance to read it. This is just a test site a better flashier more interactive one will be built soon enough.
Thanks for your time,
Heres the linkwww.reefbuilding.blogspot.com
Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

you may want to revise some of your advice ,uncured rock is what comes direct from the ocean. with all its bio living thing s in there. Cured rock is what you get at the LFs or the places like J&L Ocean aquatic's places like that .. dead rock is jsut that. its dead there isnt any thing in there that has life. that is why its called LIVE rock is the bacteria that grows in and on the rock the eats away at the crap that builds on the rocks ..

You can go as deep or shallow with your sand as you like,personally I like the deep bed method 4'' of sand,you'll get the best biological production this way.

Actually anaerobic bacteria starts at 1" so having a 4" sand Bed IME is a waste. 1-2 " should work alot better then 4-6'" that is just for my experince

Last edited by Skimmerking; 12-18-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

Is that not what I said?
P.S thanks for looking
Old 12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

I didnt mention the origin of the rock,just the unique issues associated with the different types ie;uncured=die off,cured=no die off,dead=no life and needs to be seeded,we are trying to keep the info as straight forward as possible
Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

as for the deep bed method youll find if you research that a true deep bed is 4'' as different bacteria dwell in different depths. We are trying our best to keep the info very accurate through research and through me and my friends combined 50years tank keeping experience. Obviouslly not everyone will agree,and thats the point of yet another tank info site. Its just standard info that is tried and true,just one of thousands of opinions.

When we started in this hobby we were flooded with contradicting info like that you will find here on this site,we are just trying to get people started then they can come here and argue the benefits of each of the thousands of opinions.

Last edited by dabandit; 12-18-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:28 PM
acanthastrea freak

some of the stuff with FOWLR stating tha you dont need a protein skimmer I would say tha tyou would have to go with one. ALot of people will keep a huge tank and have a FOWLR and think that is great when you get into the fish tha lot s of newbie's want to keep they tend to lend towards the aggressive ones and feed heavy and then the water goes for a crap fish are dying. see what I'm talking about. not to get under your skin just pointing out a few things that you may want to cncider revising. with a FOLWR I would strongly put in there to get a protein skimmer that is all..

the site looks realy great by the way keep up the great work.. looking forward to other great things tha you have to offer.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:30 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We will start with a guide on how to setup a reef aquarium,the RIGHT way.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabandit View Post
as for the deep bed method youll find if you research that a true deep bed is 4'' as different bacteria dwell in different depths.
under stood I think tha you are gettign defensive here my friend, all im stating tha tsome people dont want to read jsut that if you give them more options then they will explore more.. you could just say that you can actually have up to 1-4 " of sand in the tank depending on what you would like to hav in there. facts have actually stated that bacteria can start to form at 1" ..
Old 12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned

Im really not getting defensive,just defending my facts so people dont think I'm making this stuff up lol. I appreciate the comments and opinions.
Your right many do run skimmers on a fish only setup,but me and my 4 friends never have with great success. Again just getting people started,if they feel they need one after that point we are leaving it up to them..you get where I'm coming from here?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:40 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Prob better just to give them this link I found...

www.canreef.com

Closed Thread