Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 AM

Aysha is on a distinguished road
Default 29 gallon Biocube!

Hi all! I'm new to marine and thought I'd introduce myself.
My name is Aysha and I am a 22 year old Jane of all trades,Living in Edmonton.
Seriously you need a graphic designer? a Makeup artist? Code Monkeyr (I'm a professional lot of things lol)

My Fiance was nice enough to bring me a suprise one day in the form of a 29 gallon Biocube, it's small but it's mighty and I look forward to hotrodding it up.
I have started small my tank now contains:
35 lbs LR
30lbs LS
1 small sand polyp
The biggest snail you have ever seen in your life I think it's called a strawberry trochus? it's like the size of my hand.
and one goofy blue legged hermit.

I Just got my first marine fish today blue Chromis I have named Stuntman Mike and Super Dave. Seriously I'm a bit paranoid.

If all goes well I'd like to add a coral beauty, a pair of perculas,a Bengaii Cardinal and a fire fish.

i've been taking photos everyday since I started and look forward to seeing what develops I look forward to uploading them and getting some input.

Nice to meet you,
~Aysha
Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

well thats perfect timing......Ive seriously been hunting around for a professional to help me with my makeup.....

sounds like as good start....ya those strawberrys get huge!.....

we have one rule here for tank journals.......it didnt happen without the pics to prove it
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM

before I put anything in it.these photos are kinda from stage 1 till now.

Stuntman Mike and Super Dave

The tank is still stock I plan on hotrodding the filter and I bought a new powerhead that I have yet to install. Spoiled fish.

Last edited by Aysha; 02-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

awesome start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
well thats perfect timing......Ive seriously been hunting around for a professional to help me with my makeup.....
always wondered what you do in your free time
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM

LOL it's not far off I do stuff like this
Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 PM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

Great choice for a nano! Looks like you're off to a good start.

1 piece of advice before you go too far with fish and corals, let the tank cycle FIRST. Otherwise, you're just going to be flushing money down the toilet.

Nano-Reef has a section devoted to modding the BC29, check it out! Some are really simple and cheap to do.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=180788

Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 AM

DONT WORRY IM NOT CYCLING THE TANK WITH MY STUNTMEN!
Cyceling is good. I started with live everything from a tank that was being taken down that being said it sat for quite a while. I followed the advice of the woman I bought the tank from and started my cycle with a bit of shrimp In addition to the LR/LS.

My test kits confirm my tanks good to go so I figured Id try with something easy my LFS recommened Chromis or damsels.
Damsels are a bit to aggressive for my tastes and yes I know Chromis are damsels too! but you know how she goes. I gave them crazy names in reflection of this journey and trust me I will take care of them well fish gods willing.

That being said I'm New to salt. I kept reptiles for 10 years and FW for a long time but I still know how easy it is to make beginner mistakes (such as not letting my tank cycle. I chose a biocube for the right out of the box appeal and it was just the perfect size (the price didn't hurt either)

This is a learning process for me and I'm glad you are here to help Advice is good and advice is ALWAYS welcome.

No amount of chemicals or reading books or instasalt ect is ever a substitute for good ol' fashion asking questions and learning from others achivements,trials and errors.

I've already learned for instance that I hate hydrometers.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Cubeman is on a distinguished road

The snail in your picture - I've seen in stores listed as a strawberry top turban and similar names and they always just seem to be sitting on the sand. Thinking about buying one and wondering does yours move much and how effective is it at algae clean up?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM

I've heard they are awesome, this guy moves around once and awhile, he's been known to sit on top of the highest rock! but, mostly he just sits in the sand. I went to the LFS and said I wanted a snail they said cool "all snails are 3.00" "excellent I'll take the coolest one"
Old 02-27-2012, 03:48 AM

So the snail left this mortal coil...typical. No smell quite like it to be sure.

I re arranged the rock to give the tank an all around better flow and better caves, added another polyp frag, a handful of hermits and a fire fish (who I don't see because he lives under a rock)

Red algae has come and gone & the green stuff has just started blooming.
I'm going to add one more fish in the next week and then focus on adding small frags of coral and wait for it to grow out.

I haven't installed the powerhead yet because I found bits of coral and shells were being blown all about the place after I moved my LR. SO I'm not sure that it's a good idea.Thoughts?

Oh and I ordered this :http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube...ard-BC29FS.htm
Has anyone else used them?